Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground Blinds

Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Ground Blinds

I am thinking about setting up a couple ground blinds for next year.
Would anyone have a decent set of plans for one, or would I be better off getting the tent style ones?
Would like some help. Never hunted from a ground blind but a couple of the areas I want to deer hunt is not suitable for tree stand.
Thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:52 PM

Default RE: Ground Blinds

I have a couple of ground blinds set up on some private property. A friend and I used metal crates as a base and then used that foam tubing to go around the outside edges of it. We used that camo berlap to cover it up. They look pretty good still considering we put them up at the begining of last deer season.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM

Man, to me there is nothing better than making your own on teh spot, i shot quite a few deer this year this way.

I just pick a trail that looks well used and set myself between 3 or 4 trees whichI tie a rope around about 40 inches high, I take some camo cloth or burlap and stape around the rope, then I cut pine branches and burried and lean around in vertical position of course and presto you have a cheap and fast blind.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:04 PM

I have to agree with ya Alex. I made something similar to that last season but never got a chance to hunt out of it.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you would be better of getting a nice tent style blind like a Double Bull T5 or Matrix.
There easy and light to carry in and out , easy to set up and take down best of all you put any where , makes you very mobile.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 PM

True. I have one that you can throw out and fold into a backpack style pouch. Its pretty nice although it kind of limits your sight diameter. If you decide to go that way make sure that you get one with windows all around the blind. I like Natural myself.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:50 PM

When I decide to hunt the ground I just build my own out of small pine trees, camo burlap and some string and put a chair in the middle, has always worked well and kept me out of detection.

Once when I was 15 I had alot of time on my hands and I built a blind underneath the ground with a little staricase and hole to crawl through, also had one of those windows like the bunkers in WWII. Needless to say I could make every mistake possible in that thing and I got away with alot of noise as well. It was really quite neat! I was proud!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will use deadfall that is in the area or cut limbs from larger trees, along with evergreen branches. They help fill the voids and are also a great cover scent. Best part is they are free and you don't need to carry them around.

I did buy one this year. Mainly for taking my children out. It was a small one made by grizzly. I think it pretty much sucks to be honest. I guess it may have been worth the whopping $39, but it reflects light when it is wet, and it doesn't have to be really wet either, just some dew in the morning is all. It is noisy and it falls over unless you use all the tie downs, which kind of defeats the purpose. I wanted something easy to move around, and I don't think it fits the bill. I will say that it is probably a lot better than my natural ones in the rain though, so that is how I'm planning to use it.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have made a lot of natural ones but for a more weatherproof set up that will be placed and not moved till season is over I like a box blind. I have made a number out of 2x4's for the frame, plywood for the roof and then old carpet with jute back facing out and then simply spray painted my own camo pattern. I then cut the viewing/shooting flaps out(leaving the bottom edge attached)I attach a piece of burlap camo that will drop over the windows when sitting to reduce the chance of getting picked off but you can still see out. Iget the carpet free at carpet stores and you'd be suprised at how good some of the stuff can be that is removed. I build them in the spring and leave them to air for the summer months, they work great and are cheap.

I have pop ups as well for the easy and mobility factor. I have a couple Ameristep Doughouse that work good for the investment. though have to say my partner picked up a Double Bull Matrix and its the cadi of pop ups. Price tag suggests that though!!

Exampleof one of my carpet box blinds I built. Total cost was under 50 bucks and 2 guys can sit and/or stand comfortably.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Spike

I got an old tent from parents that we used when the family went camping. I plan to make it into some sort of ground blind for next year. It would be a blind that I set up in early fall and leave there through most of the season with minimal relocation. Anything tokeep the wind, rain or snow from getting at you helps.

Quick Reply: Ground Blinds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.