Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever thought of this??

Old 12-14-2006, 08:06 PM

Default RE: Ever thought of this??

ORIGINAL: BWfVA

Well I am a meat hunter with limits I will not shoot any thing that is under 4 points most of the time this rule is off limits on gov. land or near the end of the season. I will not pass on my chances to shoot a doe. I figure if I shoot a 12 pointer the horns are just a bouns
i do the same.. the deer are scarce enough in my area and when i see a nice size doe i usually take it
Old 12-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nicely put,Meat hunter with limits.Im sure salty didnt mean what he said whole heartedly,he was just talking about the ones in his own area.Ive got some slobs arround here too,they shoot every deer that comes out of a drive.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:35 AM

I apologize to anyone offended by my comment. I posted that out of frustration. I should not have used certain words and I do not consider every meat hunter a slob hunter. I happen to enjoy deer meat as much as the next person. My reasoning for posting that is due to the fact I have seen 0 deer this season while some people I know are shooting 3 bucks a piece and some snap the horns off to attach a doe tag... That is a slob hunter to me.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

My reasoning for posting that is due to the fact I have seen 0 deer this season
It's nice that you offered up an appology, but I am having a hard time understandingyour ill feelings and it's relationship with YOU not seeing a deer.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

For some, antlers regardless of what size , are trophies. I have kept every set of antlers from every deer I have ever killed, even the spikes. I guess it's like a collection. I don't make anything from them, I just have them. I do have three bucks mounted also.
Same here, 38 sets of antlers, 14 of them are mounts.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

We normally keep everything and nail them up on our wood shed. The larger ones are monuted and the decent ones are placed on plack.

I look at it as memories of the hunt. Even the little ones are great memories......sometimes better memories than the big ones...........
Old 12-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Apology accepted.
The people you mentioned though should not be refered to as ANY type of "hunters!" What you describe is illegal and would be called a POACHER!
There is a big difference between any "legal Hunter" and a "Poacher!"
Old 12-15-2006, 03:04 PM

Slob hunters? I came in a little too late to comment on that one.

I hunt for the meat first. If I did'nt LOVE to cook and eat deer, then I would not be a hunter. Alot of treehuggin, vegetarian, psudoPETA sissyboys dont understand that. They say," how can you kill God's creatures for sport"? well, you guys are right. The sport of hunting ultimately ends up with a kill, and we eat the flesh of what we kill. I hate people who look down at me for being a hunter whilethey digest the double cheese burgers that just came from McDonalds. McDonalds is an evil corporation that clear cuts rainforests to grow cattle for slaughter. How many animals did that kill?
I'm off the topic here, but I have NO respect for anyone who kills deer or other "game" animals, and leaves the entire carcass on the ground to rot, after cutting off the antlers and or head. To waste is unexcusable.
I agree with bhensley. I only hunt for meat. I know that a doe can be alot more tender and tastier than some huge bucks. I have killed a nice 9 pointer this year, and I wont shoot another buck. I only want does for the rest of the season, cause I'm after a freezer of meat and steaks...not another trophy for the mantle. Not that I am aginst trophys. It is sentimental value of memories. People also love to have a peice of the animal to boast about, and show off to others..."look at the big un I killed last year". There is nothing wrong with that...to a degree.

But to say that your frustrated with other hunters because they are killing deer and your not, is childish. A LEGAL hunter has every right to fill his or her tags, even with small deer(If its within the law). I really dont agree with it, but its their business. I know a guy who has killed like 5 deer this year...not but 1 fit for the processing fee. I say," got you another bambi huh?" He replies, " hell yea...wanna stay over for a BBQ?" I am in the kitchen mixin marinade faster than you can say Winchester!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: CervidSlayer

Slob hunters? I came in a little too late to comment on that one.

I hunt for the meat first. If I did'nt LOVE to cook and eat deer, then I would not be a hunter. Alot of treehuggin, vegetarian, psudoPETA sissyboys dont understand that. They say," how can you kill God's creatures for sport"? well, you guys are right. The sport of hunting ultimately ends up with a kill, and we eat the flesh of what we kill. I hate people who look down at me for being a hunter whilethey digest the double cheese burgers that just came from McDonalds. McDonalds is an evil corporation that clear cuts rainforests to grow cattle for slaughter. How many animals did that kill?
I'm off the topic here, but I have NO respect for anyone who kills deer or other "game" animals, and leaves the entire carcass on the ground to rot, after cutting off the antlers and or head. To waste is unexcusable.
I agree with bhensley. I only hunt for meat. I know that a doe can be alot more tender and tastier than some huge bucks. I have killed a nice 9 pointer this year, and I wont shoot another buck. I only want does for the rest of the season, cause I'm after a freezer of meat and steaks...not another trophy for the mantle. Not that I am aginst trophys. It is sentimental value of memories. People also love to have a peice of the animal to boast about, and show off to others..."look at the big un I killed last year". There is nothing wrong with that...to a degree.

But to say that your frustrated with other hunters because they are killing deer and your not, is childish. A LEGAL hunter has every right to fill his or her tags, even with small deer(If its within the law). I really dont agree with it, but its their business. I know a guy who has killed like 5 deer this year...not but 1 fit for the processing fee. I say," got you another bambi huh?" He replies, " hell yea...wanna stay over for a BBQ?" I am in the kitchen mixin marinade faster than you can say Winchester!
good point... thats what we do too.. everytime someone gets a deer all of our hunting buddies get together and probably 80 % of that deer is gone by the end of the night.. its just fun to share it with friends.. and hear the story of the hunt about 50 times before the night is over!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

Same here, 38 sets of antlers, 14 of them are mounts.
[/quote]

14 mounts...that's awesome! Do youhave them all hanging on the same wall? I'd love to see pictures. I've got 4 mounts and a 5th at the taxidermist right now.

BTW...I keep all my antlers as well. I don't consider myself a meat hunter. Onedeer will last me almost an entire year.

Quick Reply: Ever thought of this??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.