Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

sad story

Old 11-25-2002, 04:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: sad story

Jsmart,You stated <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>“I decided.............” Which appeared to mean I’m not waiting for a Buck, I just want to kill something. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>Sounds like your assuming to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Should Chris, quit the BBS? NO, we have all become fond of him for standing up to his mistakes and want to hear more from him <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> You got Hemmingway in your pocket or is it a mouse?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>A strong taskmaster who, allowed you only one bullet for the Deer season. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>What, God forbid if someone missed(it happens).

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>When hunting upland game and waterfowl we got only one shell if you missed your season was over. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>Wow!! That sounds like alot of fun.lol. I guess no one made any mistakes around Gramps,eh?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>My first hunting season, as well as my sons, involved carrying his old Kessler bolt action shotgun with the bolt removed. The second year we were allowed to shoot. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> What was that supposed to teach you guys,that the gun was heavy? I knew enough to carry a gun with bullets and everything my first year.Gramps and Grand ma taught me well.She even let me use her Ithica sweet 16 side by side,too bad she was buried with it I loved that gun.

Skeeter, I think he means a mature Buck.

Old 11-25-2002, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only let you have ONE bullet for the deer season!?! I don't agree with that at all. Your season was over if you missed? That's just not right in my opinion. If I had to learn to hunt like that I would never want to go again after a day or two carring a shotgun with no bolt in it. Sounds like you are trying to teach kids that hunting is suppose to be alot of hard work and mental toil. God knows I would have foiled under the pressure if I knew after this one shot my deer season was about to end one way or the other (pressure's on kid). I would of never had any of the good memories Of my first dove hunt becuase it took me 3 whole shots before I finally hit my first moving target. I guess I would of just had to tough it out for another few years while my friends all gained real experience and got real deer/game while I was sitting at home with a huge case of buck fever everytime I saw an animal and I had my trusty ONE bullet. No pressure at all. I guess I would of takin up stamp collecting or something else more fun than hunting. Don't get me wrong, I only had to use one bullet on my first deer, but I knew full good and well that with one flip of the lever I had another 30-30 bullet ready to go if I needed it. I was a crappy shot my first few years mainly because of lack of experince and confidence that can only be gained one way, through succesfull hunting. Ok, this had nothing to do with the topic at hand but and I'll get off my soapbox now with one sentence to sum it all up. &quot;I don't agree with that, but opinions are like @$$****s everyone's got one.&quot;

&quot;Hey ya'll, watch this&quot;
Old 11-25-2002, 08:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Charlie P,

I had not intended to repost on this matter however, you challenged me for a for a response. “Who, cares if he shot a Doe?” If they are in season probably no one certainly not me. Many states limit or have no Doe season at all. By his original posting he stated “I decided.............” Which appeared to mean I’m not waiting for a Buck, I just want to kill something. The tone of the letter reflected a disregard for ethics. My response was that of honest advice not harsh criticisms. Had it been one of my sons I would have said the same thing! Then hugged them and tried to figure out just what went wrong.

I do agree that Chris, did the right thing on posting the letter. It drew a tremendous amount of response and different views. Should Chris, quit the BBS? NO, we have all become fond of him for standing up to his mistakes and want to hear more from him. I don’t feel that he was looking for absolution in his posting. He was hurting, and needed someone to care. Judging by the letters he has many that do care.

Charlie, understand that older people write in a more formal manner and may appear “strong” to the younger set. From the letters that followed I noted a unique difference in the answers and attitudes by generation standards. The older hunters tend follow the writings of Hemmingway, Roark, and O’Connor. The younger set seem to follow the standards of TV program hunters.

Secondly, My sons were taught to hunt by my father. A strong taskmaster who, allowed you only one bullet for the Deer season. When hunting upland game and waterfowl we got only one shell if you missed your season was over. If you hit you got another shell after gutting and salting down the cavity. He did however, allow us to target and skeet shoot year around. My first hunting season, as well as my sons, involved carrying his old Kessler bolt action shotgun with the bolt removed. The second year we were allowed to shoot.

“Wrong” I Could be; but, I know personally that a Stag buck will herd his does and use them for his protection. He will run them across a meadow, opening, and sometimes a ridge before following.

Now, if Chris, isn’t still too mad at me perhaps he would tell us what type of rifle he was using?

Sincerely, John

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

We don't have many does where I hunt so I was planning on shooting a doe anyway.

I was shooting my bolt action .270 with balistic tips.
I am actually a pretty good shot at the target range but I guess I shoot a little high this time.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

&quot;We don't have many does where I hunt so I was planning on shooting a doe anyway&quot;

Did you mean to say that you don't have many BUCKS/stags where you hunt so you were going to take a doe anyway?

&quot;Hey ya'll, watch this&quot;
Old 11-25-2002, 08:41 PM

Chris,
Thanks for the come back. A .270 NBT,is a fine rifle cartridge.

Well son, it looks like you have become the most popular person on the net. If they keep writing Jay Leno, may have you on his show.

I have raised enough hackles this week; we are heading out of town for Turkey Day. You have a great Thanksgiving and don't forget to hug someone this week.

Sincerly, John
Old 11-25-2002, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

jsmart, I am just curious, would you happen to live in Alandria, Alabama ???

The best of luck in all your hunting endeavors!!!

God Bless,
Dave
Old 11-26-2002, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chris,What happened with the gut shot doe? Did you find it or not?