Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Remington model 710

Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Default RE: Remington model 710

I got one two years ago and I like it just fine, especially for the money. Who cares about the bolt or the cheap stock, as long as its sighted init will do just as good as a 700-800 dollar gun will. Mine is zerod in at 100yards and it still shoots good and flat at 50 and 150. Good gun for the money i always thought. Oh yeah I like the bushnell 3-9-40 as well
Old 12-12-2006, 06:34 PM

Thats me, and thats a 165 5/8 14 point killed with a remington 710, do you have anything to add or just ignorant off hand remarks? Lets see a pic of you and something you killed this year pretty boy
Old 12-12-2006, 06:34 PM

Get yourself a Remington 700 ADL, a Savage, or a good used gun. I used to have a 710 and ended up swapping it for a 700. I hated the 710's trigger creep and the cheap, plastic receiver. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of the 710.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

nice deer jokerand welcome to the forums
Old 12-12-2006, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: JimboHunter1

Get yourself a Remington 700 ADL, a Savage, or a good used gun.
I was thinking about maybe just a good used one too, might be my best bet and won't hurt the pocket book either......
Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TxVern

Wondering if anyone had a .270in this model?what are your thoughts about it and how is the Bushnellscope that comeson it?
For not much more money, you can get a better rifle. And stay away from the packaged deals. If you are going to have a scope on a rifle, put a good one on it.

Know what I mean, Vern?

Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: North Texan

ORIGINAL: TxVern

Wondering if anyone had a .270in this model?what are your thoughts about it and how is the Bushnellscope that comeson it?
For not much more money, you can get a better rifle. And stay away from the packaged deals. If you are going to have a scope on a rifle, put a good one on it.

Know what I mean, Vern?

Yes I do....now you bring up scopes...I know I know let me do the research. So whats are yalls opinions on scopes?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

So whats are yalls opinions on scopes?
on a budget i like the simmons aetec 2.8X10X44 the last one i bought was 129$ 2 years ago, other people here have spoken highly of the bushnell elite 3200, nikon scopes (unsure of the models), but dollar for dollar i could not find anything i like better than the aetec. i have looked thru some of those i mentioned in the same price range and they may have beenbetter, but my tired eyes couldn't tell a difference, if money were no object i'd go with leupold, schmidt & bender, swowrvski (sp) simply for their light gathering capability, but i live in the real world,

BTW when i mentioned leupold, i didn't care for there lower end stuff, with them i'd go vari-x III or a higher end, the vari x ii are decent i guess, but the "rifleman" series was really a let down[&o]

add a good set of rings and base(s) and you should be fine

good luck and try the optics forum, and see what everyone recommends, then go look thru a bunch of different scopes, make notes of which ones you like best, and check out the warranties, then start shoppingyou can get some good deals on ebay, gunbroker, and gunsamerica on new or used items, just be sure your getting what you like as far as magnafacation levels, reticle, and objective lens

Old 12-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Junk... I work for a gun shop and see alot of them come back broken just before season.. Can't really do any trigger work.. If you like a gun that has a poor trigger, poor bolt, and "ok" accuracy out to 50-150 yds then good.. The scope is yellow and dingy looking..
Can't you shoot a deer and even a monster with it.. YES... As long as everything works and works in your favor.. IF you have a shot at a "monster" at first light and you pull up the scope you'll be lucky if you see anything at all.

So if you find a load the gun likes, and the gun is working then sure you can kill a deer with it.. No resale value but it's a tool to use anyway, right?

If you like it buy it, but there are better choices.. Even in that price range.. For around 300 you can get the Mossberg 100 ATR which is even better quality...

But then again I kill most of my deer with a slug gun so what would I know?