Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Corn in winter can kill whitetails?

Old 12-11-2006, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corn in winter can kill whitetails?

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

no way are they going to die from eating corn in moderation .A sudden gluttony maybe but not as a supplement to there normal diet
Any sudden glutony could kill a deer,IMO, even if they are eating soy beans, apples, wheat, or oats, the result is going to be no less as bad, if not worse,as them eating too much corn.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose if the deer have eaten up alot of the other foods,and the snow gets real deep so they have a hard time finding food on the ground.They should move on,to where there is more food.Instead,some feeders fill them up with corn,till they decide its too cold out,or there is too much snow.Then the deer are stuck.I also think the corn isnt what kills them,but a lack of water to help them digest it.Eating snow takes more energy than its worth.(ever tried it?)I think a corn feeder could be good for them if its kept full all winter and a source of open water is available nearby.Otherwise,there gut is going to be full of dried grain.Try eating beer nuts without anything to drink for just one 24 hr period and see how it feels the next time you make a grunt sculpture!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Host of Hosts

Anyone want to find any info to the contrary. I'm gonna check for positive info on winter deer feeding. Maybe someone wants to lend a hand?
No positive info on feeding corn to whitetails except of course from the folks selling the feed. I gave up looking. I'm still gonna feed in moderation. Besides the deer here are still digging in the corn fields.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:47 AM

LOL,
I've never heard of that here in Alabama before but I guess anything is possible. We have 4 feeder fields on our property that aren't hunted, to keep deer coming to the property, that are kept full year round with protein, sweet feed and plenty of corn. It may be that the deer are getting more than just corn in those feeders but we've never seen the population fall, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Wow some of you are pretty stobborn. This does happen. Just because you have corn in your area and just because you hanvn't heard of it before doen'st mean it doens't happen.

Deer during the winter after corn field are picked and are mostly gone, start getting into there winter diets. Buds of bushes, trees, accorns again. They start living off the forest again. Their enzymes and digestive systems start to get used to this. Then if they stumble uppon a huge pile of corn in someones back yard or in a feeder and fill there belly's full of corn and there stomach isn't used to digesting it, they can die! It happens! God you think people just make this stuff up fo the heck of it.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

I believe there is a fungus thatcorn can get that will harm the deer. I think it is on the rare side but it can happen
Old 12-14-2006, 09:52 AM

Yes, corn can become 'moldy' in the right conditions, ask anyone who has been around a grain farming operation. And I also belive in the 'overdose' theory.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Tschammel on this. Up in the Northern states most winter feeding is detrimental to the herd and the land. In most cases if the deer need feeding up here then the land is not capable of suporting them and you are artificially supporting them above the carrying capacity. If this is done it must be done continuously because if it stops then a lot of deer will die. Baiting also tends to group deer together more and facilitates the spread of disease. In NY here it is illegal in any form. Down south where winter kill and carrying capacities are less or not an issue I see less harm done if done correctly.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 AM

corn has no nutritional value... try mixing the corn with some sort of other feed to supplement the deer..
Old 12-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salty

corn has no nutritional value...
Are you crazy? Corn has carbohydrates, which should make up 50% or more of the human diet, and it's gotta' be quite important to deer!

Quick Reply: Corn in winter can kill whitetails?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.