Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

License fees

Old 12-05-2006, 02:27 PM

Default RE: License fees

I appreciate everyones response. I guess we might as well put a non-resident tax on gasoline and other products, right?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

I think I would be more prepared to accept a hunter host system if it meant increased access to the hunting that is available. I'm not saying i'd expect equal access to draw tags but perhaps a small percentage of allocations in each zone could be made available to non resident canadianson an annual basis. Something similar to alberta's system where the non resident would have to apply with a resident and would only get drawn if the resident does too. Maybe another option in the case of general tags would be to make the seasons more accessible (ie. same dates as for residents) along with the addition of a host system. It would be interesting to dig up how much revenue SERM generates through non-res tags.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Saskabush

Skeeter and Hia, we've discussed this before so I know where you both stand on non resident season and why. My question is how would you feel about a hunter host system for canadians with increased access to other species as well as partial access to the limited entry system (draws)? Given that sask residents currently enjoy sole access to the fantastic muledeer and elk hunting, would you be prepared to sharein a systemthat wouldbe more controlled from an access point of view?

I wouldn't have a problem under a hunter host program if they opened it up some for other game. The fact remains you'll have to know somebody and would also think that somebody should know what the heck they are doing for you to want to come to this province and hunt. Mule Deer would be an exception due to their large range land and booming populations. ELk well other than hunting with a relative or good buddy I can't see why anybody would travel to Saskatchewan to pursue wapiti?? The success rate is very low and the main reason is pockets of elk in either posted land or heavily hunted by residents. Take a drive into the forest of the eastern portion of the proivince in either archery or rifle season the amount of camps will knock your socks off...it is much worse then moose hunting of yester year for those who had experienced it. If not basically villages of hunters all in search of the same animals.The pumpkin patch at the pasture as you refer to it would look like a single party compared to some of the gong shows that happen yearly in elk season. If they did open it up I think they would have to limit it somehow, while the elk population is thriving it is nowhere near that of alberta or BC. So management would have to play a key role. Same said for moose. One way would be a party type hunt where a resident hunter could name a canadian resident or even residentas a shared owner of a single tag. Lets face it half an elk or moose is a lot of meat and this would limit the amount of animals harvested. Antelope not a chance the population has rebounded nicely from mismanagement of the 90's but still the number of tags handed out is small in comparsionto yesterday. So until it rebounds to sustainable numbers I think it should be left as a resident only draw hunt. If it does rebound then I don't see a problem for an opportunity for canadian residents to have a crack through draw.

As far as limited entry draws only if they apply with a resident acting asa hunter hostand have the same preference points. It should also be limited to a set amount of tags so residents have a greater opportunity and to protect against over harvest.

I think anything but the current system would be welcomed by the majority of resident hunters. We aren't greedy but we sure would like to see something that would act as a limit to those pursuing game within our borders.

I have a vex about gurus coming here to video harvests and profit off them by the free for all we have in place. To me it is not fair and should be dealt with no/if's/and's or buts! Call it greed if you want but I am sick of being told MR. X has just taken away another piece of property menawhile raking huge dollars off his outfitting allotment. I fear I have said to much so I will de-rail the train at this point!!

Red Lion, consumable products vs natural resources. Apples to oranges in my opinion. I understand you reasons but I don't think it unfair to request a premium to hunt lands other then where your tax dollars go. Jsut my perspective of course.