Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Black powder in the snow and a tracking question

Old 12-02-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Black powder in the snow and a tracking question

I have been using my black powder in the snow for the past few days. I have an inline and use the pellet loads for powder. When unloading the gun I have notives the pellets come out wet and "mushy". I try to always keep the muzzle dry when hunting. Tonight I hade three does and a small buck walk out in my food plot. One of the does walked about 8 yards in front of me and I decided to take the shot. I have a scope on the rifle, and I placed the hairs right behind the shoulder and pulled the trigger. The doe gave a good kick, and I am sure I "saw" the impact of the round and her shoulder go limp. The buck just stood there and evently walked off in the same direction as the doe I shot. I waited about a half hour and got down from the stand. I went to where I shot her and no blood, the is fresh snow on the ground so I figured it would be east to see. I followed her tracks for about 75 yards and never saw a drop of blood. I went back to where I shot her and looked in the snow for the impact of the round thinking I missed, but there where no signs of the round hitting the snow. I am about to go back out with some lights and looks some more. This is my 1st year hunting in the snow and I figured the blood would be easy to see in it, but could it be so warm in "melts" through in and sinks to the bottom. I am thinking I missed somehow, could wet powder affect trajectory (sp) of the round?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black powder in the snow and a tracking question

You should have noticed some hair on the snow at the spot where the deer was standing.

Let us know what you find out tonight.

That is true about the blood melting threw the snow. I noticed that before.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:27 PM

Follow the tracks for more than 70 yds.. If you don't get an exit wound deer sometimes don't bleed hardly at all. Its like the muscle, fat or skin covers the wound and all the bleeding is internal. I wouldn't be suprised if she is down not far after you ended the tracking.

Good luck
Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

The beauty of snow is they are easier to track! No blood needed!! If the gun went off, I find it hard to believe that moist pellets would change the trajectory at 8yds!! If you think you saw here go limp for a second, I'd say you got her! GL and good tracking!!
Old 12-03-2006, 11:11 AM

should be able to track her by tracks a lone in the snow she if the bullet didnt exit then from a treestand the entrance is proably going to be high on the back plus the mucsle and what ever else is closing the hole but you should have a exit wound at that close
Old 12-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might sound stupid but try shooting your gun at a target from about 8 yrds once.Dads Knight when sighted in at about 50 yrds with a certian load would hit way high on shots that close, he missed two deer that year at extremely close distances before we figured out what was going on.Its possible you just grazed her back and made her flinch a little.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:03 PM

I have seen where the bullet did not exit, no blood, and no hair but did find the deer about 100yds away. I absolutely live for flint lock season in Pa.

[/align]
Old 12-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

i have shot many deer in the snow and i have found them all just keep following the tracks you will find here.