Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finding stuff in deer

Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 AM

Default Finding stuff in deer

My first we figured out was hit by a car because it had a horn broken of at what looked like a fork on one side and was still in velvet on the other side with a little fork like nubs.velvet isn't common where i was hunting with a rifle near the end of august.
My second deer that a killed up at lake sonoma had a broadhead in it and the shaft of the arrow was gone and it was incased in fat or something for a while. and we found all the parts of the broad with it.
I think it might be a curse for me. shooting deer that have an injury of some sort
Old 11-30-2006, 10:09 AM

Default RE: Finding stuff in deer

It's amazing, the things you find in deer. Icaped out a big buck last night and noticed his lower lip was cut and completely healed over. He must have been a fighter. The same deer also had a weird bone growth, almost like a nub on a button buck, below his left antler. I will have to post pics.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where've you been, Piebald? We missed you.(I guess)
Old 11-30-2006, 12:23 PM

Between school, hunting,and taxidermy I've been really busy...
Old 11-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better busy than lazy,IMO.
This summer, I was so bored, because it was too hot outside to do anything, and I would be stuck inside the house watching the History channel , so I thought,
"I wish I was back in school, it would give me something to do,at least.".

Good luck with the school and taxidermy.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

couple years ago, we skinned out a nice tall 7 point and found a huge white puss filled growth inside the ribs. when we cut it open, there was a .22 in there. the buck had no visible damage or limp when he was shot.

amazing how deer can keep living.

i have also seen two spinal vertebrae fused together where a broadhead had been lodged. that was cool.

and at a hunting show i was at, one of the outfitters had a hunt on film of someone shooting a bear with an arrow that went through its one eye and came out in its mouths roof. the skull had already healed around it. weird.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

I once found bird shot froma shotgun in a deer i shot, the bird shot didn't even go through the hid.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

We found a green arrow vane in the neck meat of a doe. No other sign of injury though.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

A buck my uncle shot had an arrow shaftin the rib cage,all inside, just broken off on each side, real old wound, couldn't even see any marks on the outside where it went in. It was a really wierd feeling when we reached in to gut it and there was a bar across the cavity.A buck my friend shot had a broadhead stuck in its tear duct, eye seemed fine too. Another one of my buddys had a deer with part of an arrow shaft stuck in its head, right in front of the eyes. On the farm next to where I hunt, the guys that hunt there must not practice much, there were 3 deer last year with arrows sticking out of them, one had an arrow stuck in its head, walking around with bright orange vanes between its rack not cool.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The buck i got this past monday when i walked up to it to gut it had its penis and balls ripped into. The balls were nearly ripped off, and the penis was sticking out of a hole that was ripped by im guessing another bucks horn. The penis was basically skinned and all u could see was the inside of the penis(the part thats usually covered by fur) and about an inch above that was the fur part of the penis with no penis in it. The part that was skinned looked almost rotted and infected. We gutted the deer and sent it to the butcher.. D oy uthink the meet is still good?

Quick Reply: Finding stuff in deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.