Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what do you wear?

Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 AM

Default what do you wear?

OK, this may sound funny, but, do you camo out to hunt with a rifle? The reason i ask this question is: I went by my parents house after a very rewarding gun hunt and my dad asked me why i had all my camo(scentlock) on to rifle hunt. He said that camo is a waste for gun hunting. So that got me thinking,,,,,I am a diehard bowhunter and only gun hunt to keep my season going ( cant bowhunt during rifle season in missouri ) and i do the same things and wear the same things i would for bow hunting that i do for gun. So, what do you do?
Old 11-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what do you wear?

I'm always orange from the waist up for rifle season. I'm not sure why but I wear camo pants and gloves.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MN_Deerman

I'm always orange from the waist up for rifle season. I'm not sure why but I wear camo pants and gloves.
10-4.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:43 AM

Well, in Wisconsin you have to wear blaze orange for gun hunting season. I personally feel the more the better because there are a lot of idiots out there that fire first and worry about it later. There are countless articles in the paper about hunters getting shot. One common mistake people make is they take their blaze orange off in the woods to gutt and get shot by some idiot. Even on private land it happens.

I guess it all depends on your surroundings and the law in your area. We get a lot of snow this time of year so I really like the snow camo with blaze orange in it.

Stay safe and good luck!
Old 11-22-2006, 09:47 AM

I wear the orange vest and hat and wouldnt think of taking it off during gun season.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:03 AM

IL law says orange hat and vest. While field dressing, I'll usually strip down a little bit to keep the mess to a minimum. Hat stays on, vest gets hung on a tree for extra visibility for others. As for camo, sometimes I wear it, sometimes it's just carhart brown, depends on the mood I'm in. I don't think that camo is real important during gun season, butit's my hunting clothing already.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:45 AM

I'm in blaze orange from waist up as well, all the time. I usually just forget about camo and go with some rugged jeans and a jacket underneath the orange.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Orange vest and hat. Wouldn't think of taking it off during gun season. I also have my flashlight on while I'm walking to my stand. I make sure it's beyond shooting light before I even think of getting down and turn my flashlight on before I climb down and keep it on all the way out. A deer isn't worth a slug to the chest IMO. Too many trigger happy fellas out there.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed most and some of my best deer with NO camo on. I usually wear blue jeans and a t shirt in warm weather.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:49 AM

i wear some woodland bdu pants and a realtree hoodie and gloves but those are the same things i wear for paintball so it's probably just habit as much as anything. but other than that, i'm either wearing a normal jacket or orange.

i tend to think that i'll pick them off before they ever know i'm there.

Quick Reply: what do you wear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.