Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do you hunt to find the big boys?

Old 11-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where do you hunt to find the big boys?

I have found that really big bucks like to live (in general) in one of two places:

1) Thick, thick stuff that is hard to get to. IE: Swamps, Cut Overs, Hedge Rows etc

2) In small pockets of cover right near a hub of activity (IE: Behind the club house where nobody ever hunts, a small patch of woods between two neighborhoods, behind the public rifle range (huge deer killed there last year), or somewhere that they can hear or smell what is going on around them.

I am currently hunting two monsters. One from each catagory on my place. One lives right behind the front gate near the horse farm, right on the property line (but on our place). He knows the sound of the front gate, and we have secured permission from the neighbors to go into our place via their backyard.

Second one is in the middle of the property on a "hill", for the Lowcountry, that means a 3 foot net change in elevation, where there is no water, and it is old growth oaks and young pines, with a creek in the middle, and a super thick 12 year old cutover on the other side. He never leaves that island which is about 20 acres in size. Has been seen three times, smart, smart deer.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:38 AM

Default RE: Where do you hunt to find the big boys?

Hunt somewhere where there is no one else and i like to sit on cutlines where there is thick bush on either side so i maybe able to catch a glimpse of a deer while its crossing the fence.