Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what barrels do you guys have on your slug guns?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:07 PM

Default what barrels do you guys have on your slug guns?

i have a 20 gauge remington 870 with a smooth barrel and i was wondering if you guys have slug barrels or slug barrels. im trying to round up the money to get one for next year. do you think its worth it?
Old 11-16-2006, 05:39 PM

Default RE: what barrels do you guys have on your slug guns?

I have a smooth bore barrel with cantileaver scope mount on my Remington 870 12 GA SP. I use a rifled choke tube for sabots or a modified tube for slugs or 00 buck shot when deer hunting anda X-Full choke tube for turkey hunting.I also have a vent rib smooth tube I usewith different rem. chokes for birds.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

IMO it's not needed if your shooting under 100 yrds. Most rifled slugs are good out to that range. And with a 20 gauge you'll be better off than a 12 gauge,due to the B.C of the smaller lighter bullet. I think that proper sights are more important with shotgun hunting, as most shotguns don't come with real sights. And with a 4 x scope you do better yet. But if you want tack driving accuracy by all means gut a rifled barrel and you have muzzleloading rifle accuracy that no smoothbore can touch.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

mossberg 500..smoothbore..accu choke..Im thinking maybe get a slugster barrel..maybe

Trac209 is rite..rifled barrel n rifled slugs..centerfire results
Old 11-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Browning special buck barrel (smoothbore) for an A5 12gauge. I get cloverleaf groups shooting brenneke slugs at 50 yards, 2-3 inch at 100 yards.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Remington 870 12 ga with a fully rifled barrel.....good sabots are high as hell tho...i bought three boxes of core lockt sabots for 40 bucks!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rem 870 rifled/cantelevered/23" heavy contour with premium saboted slugs.
Ragged hole at 50 ydson a good day when I haven't overdone the caffeine.

Started with a 20" unchoked (cylinder) smoothbore Mossberg, but couldn't stand the groups, and I tried 5 different brands of rifled slugs. Modified smoothbore would group better, butmy Mossy isa fixed barrel. This one gotmodified to be the house gun, and I leave the deer punching to the Rem.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

Gave up shotgun hunt with my pistol only now I love it, those sabots were getting so expensive cost you 10 bucks just to see if your gun was still sighted in. I did use a fully rifled barrel on a mossberg was very accurate if you fed it its preferred winchester sabots
Old 11-18-2006, 10:32 PM

I got a rifled barrel 12 guage and using those new pointy Hornady SST, works great!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use smoothbore barrels and foster type rifled slugs. I put good glass on my gun (Leuopold) and keep my shots to 75 yards. This rig has worked for me for more than 20 years.

Quick Reply: what barrels do you guys have on your slug guns?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.