Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Something is driving me crazy! I need your opinions!

Old 11-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Something is driving me crazy! I need your opinions!

OK, I started typing a really long story but I'm going to try to keep it short. Basically, I took a shot at a doe (shotgun, 45 yards, heavily quartering towards), looked for about an hour and never found any blood, fur, or guts. Nothing. I could clearly see the deer's tracks for about 100 yards and I very very very slowly followed the tracks. No, sign of a hit. I spent about 20 minutes on my hands and knees looking at the spot where the doe was, there just isn't anything there. The deer looked fine (tail up) as it ran away, I saw it for about 100 yards.

Anyway,2 days later a doe about the same size (huge) was found about 150 yards away from where I shot at the doe. However, the doe I shot at was running directly away from where this doe was found. The doe was hit about 3 inches forward of the utters about 2 inches up from the bottom of her belly. The exit wound was just on the other side of the belly (hit white hair on the way in and out). So, it was real close to just grazing the deer. Based on the wound on the deer, I cannot rule out that this was the doe I saw. But, I do think it's unlikely.

My question to you all is....What would the first 100 yards look like ifa deer was shot like that? Could a shot like that leave absolutely no sign? I would expect something (in fact I would think there would be blood, guts and furall over the place, this deer was hit right on the bottom of the belly).

I just can't imagine there would be nothing! I've been hunting 20 years and every single hit (bow or shotgun) that I've seen has left some kind of blood or fur.

well, still ended up being a long story. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Something is driving me crazy! I need your opinions!

I have no experence with slugs but I can tell you that I shot a fork horn buck a few years ago and I hit it about where you discribed. There wasn't much blood But there was hair and some stomic matter. In my opinion you missed the deer. If you hit it there would be atleast hair if not some blood or stomic matter with in a hundred yards.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

I think you missed too. With a slug that close something would be there if you hit it. As big as a slug is,if you hit it, evidence of a hit, well you'd have to be almost blind not to see it.Only once have i shot a deer and hit it and not found any sign of a hit. And that shot was almost 250 yds away with a 30-06. I did find the deer and it only ran 75 plus yds. but only had an entrance hole, no exit.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

If you hit a deer with a slug, there is going to be some sign. I'd say it's safe to assume you missed and that is a different deer.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say you missed also.

if a deer was hit, as the one that was found, it would probably show signs of it being hit.

The reaction of your deer running with the tail up, would probably not be the reaction of a deer hit where you described.

I'm thinking a hit there would have a deer walking away with back arched and hunched up.

I say you missed.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

You missed for sure the way you describe the shot she probably would have fallen down and then ran and she probably would have run with her back arched and slowly worked away. when she ran did she leep and run or just flat out run? if she was leeping you deffinatly didnt hit her

GOOD LUCK MAN HOPE YOU GET ANOTHER CHANCE
Old 11-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of course that poses another question. Why didn't the hunter that shot the other deer find it? Was the doe you found very bloody or could you see a blood trail leading to where it lay?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks all! I was convinced I missed that deer too. That is why I got back up in the stand. I would have never done that if I thought I hit her. The thing that keeps bugging me is I had that red dot right on her. I don't think I've ever missed a deer that wasn't running full speed with that red dot scope (not bragging at all, just take easy shots and pass on hard ones).

Isatarak, I'm sure the deer went a while before it died considering the poor shot. The shot didn't hit any organ that would kill her quickly. Also, the deer was found on private, posted land that is next to 27000 acres of public (very very heavily hunted) land. We didn't find anyblood by the deer. the entrance wound was blocked with stomach matter. She had very muddy legs which makes me think she was in the swamp for a while before dying (she was found about 20yards into the woods.

I really don't remember if she was leaping or just in a flat out run. the last thing i remember is seeing her (and another doe) with their tales up running the opposite direction from where this doe was found. the two does looked to be moving the same, one a half deer length behind the other. I remember trying to figure out which one I shot at. it didn't look hit.

anyway, thanks all for the advice.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:41 PM

two years ago my brother shot a buckwe looked for a sign it was hit and there was nothing, found it about 100 yards from where he shot it and there was no blood or anything one of our hunting buddies found it on the way out of the woods, there was a small puddle of blood under the deer and thats all the blood we found
Old 11-14-2006, 05:53 PM

The same evening I killed my first deer(9point) my brother also killed one(7point) mine dropped dead on the spot. My brothers was a different story though. He gut shot it, and we ended up tracking it like you did by following the tracks
without finding any blood for probably 120 yards or so then like a faucet being turned on it just bled like crazy. We continued tracking it with a good blood trail for probably 100 yards, just like it started it all ended and we were back to following tracks. Roughly 25 yards from where we saw the last blood he bedded down and died in a creek on a sand bar with his head in the water. My brother shot him in the intestines and needless to say it wasn't much for eating. That very well could have been your doe if it was gut shot, but by the sound of it's reaction to your shot I would have my doubts that it's your doe.

Quick Reply: Something is driving me crazy! I need your opinions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.