Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trouble with Trespassers

Old 11-09-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Trouble with Trespassers

I have recently purchased some land and I am having trouble with trespassers. I have found two stands that are set on a tree and locked right on the property line. In addition I have found another stand locked to a tree in the middle of the property. I have posted signs all over and even checked with the previous owner to ensure he has given no one permission to hunt and he hasnt. Please give me some advice on what to do. I dont want to be an as*&le and just cut them down since I am a new land owner in the area, but I dont know if I have much of a choice on the middle guy. Let me know .
Old 11-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trouble with Trespassers

I would leave a note on the tree the stand is attached to stating that under no circumstances would they be allowed on your property, even to look for a wounded deer, and if they did you would file trespassing charges. Maybe that would encourage them to move their stands a bit off your property line.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MikeVT

even to look for a wounded deer
I agree with leaving a note but to include the above is only asking for trouble. Don't be so blunt. Leave a note saying that this is private property and the person may finish hunting the day but to take the stand with themwhen they leave at the end of the day. If it becomes necessary to trail a wounded deer, call for permission first.
Remember the shoe may be on the other foot and you may have to trail a deer onto their property, so don't burn your bridges.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN_Deerman

I agree with leaving a note but to include the above is only asking for trouble. Don't be so blunt. Leave a note saying that this is private property and the person may finish hunting the day but to take the stand with themwhen they leave at the end of the day. If it becomes necessary to trail a wounded deer, call for permission first.
Remember the shoe may be on the other foot and you may have to trail a deer onto their property, so don't burn your bridges.
Oryou could meet the trespassers, have a cup of coffee, become friends, and all have a fun time! lol...... arent I nuts?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: MN_Deerman

thats the way to go.
i'm sure most of us have shot a deer at some time or another and had it go across a line...
so I second that.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:39 PM
BDC
Fork Horn

My note would read different. It would say, FOUND, LOST TREESTAND! To reclaim please call sheriff steve at 555-5555.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

AMENNNNN BROTHERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

I agree withMN Deerman. Let them know but be nice about it.If you have enough land you can give them permission to hunt on it if its only one person with the 3 stands but tell them you want to be able to use the stands also in trade. This way you don't have to by more stands or keep moving yours. Just an idea. Never know, could be a good person.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:11 PM

I agree with thebe nice and give them the bennifit of the doubt approach. Except for the fact they don't have permission to be there in the first place, from anyone!!! They were tresspassing before on someones land and now that you bought it they are tresspassing on your land. The intent of what they are doinghasn't changed.I bought 100+ acres of nice habitat several years ago. The first year, I had 5 people, that I know of, take shots from the road and6 seperatepeople were caught on the property itself! I was always nice but let them know they were not supposed to be there. Year 2 it was just as bad, I became the proud owner of a nice new hanging stand and several scent wicks from someplace else. Once again tryed to be nice to the ones I caught.
The next year I had had it!!!! I didn't spend much time hunting but more time checking all corners of the property for these poachers! Every time I saw anyone on the prop. or shoot onto it I had the keys handy and came ripping out of the drive (1/2 mile long) doing mach 2. Chased several people and could tell they were scared Sh*%less. The last 2 years I have not had 1 incedent.This wasn't how I would have liked to handle the situation, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta due.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:06 PM

Been there, The ones on your property, cut the locks. move them to another tree and relock them. Label the stands withyour name. Contact the sheriff and make a report. You will eventually have to give the stands back to them after the court date. Thats what we had to do.

Quick Reply: Trouble with Trespassers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.