Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun hunting

Old 11-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotgun hunting

I would say you should be able to shoot at least 75 yards and more than likely a 100 yards. I used to shoot 100 yards with my shotgun before i used a rifle. 40 to 50 yards is not very far at all.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: the bees knees shotgun all the way. those new sst slugs are accurate to about 200 yards! Besides, if you use a smooth barrel, in an emergency buck sighting you can slip some 00 buck in the tube. good luck hunting.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would also like to see a picture of that .308
Old 11-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Here in NJ, there is a certain hunt I take part in for 4 days each year. It is shotgun only. I use my 12 guage Winchester pump gun, model 1300.
I put a scope on it and practice at the range, and I do shoot better with the 2 3/4 inch slugs than with the 3". Where I hunt in this swamp, the shooting is close due to thick brush..... bout 40 yards max. But I would not really attempt to reach out past 60 to 70 yards anyway with this set up. I can tell you this, the knock down power of this slug gun is very impressive. Hope this helps you out in making your decision.
DW
Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

I'd check to see if the .308 is safe to shoot and if it shoots straight. If so then take some time to get to know it and use that. I've hunted with a shotgun most of my life and I will tell you that unless you have a scope on it or sights that can be adjusted i would not recommend using it on any animal out past 30=50 yards. and even with these sight inovations i would not shoot at anything past 60-80 yards. accuracy can be hard to find with shotguns unless they are strickly made for slugs
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 AM

Yes Paul L Mohr, I have. I have used the sst slugs, and yes they are quite accurate at longer ranges( such as out to 200 yds). Also you said "Most average slug guns just will not stabilize a bullet that fast at those ranges." Well my friend that is MOST, but not ALL slug guns. I didnt mean to start a big Shouting Match over slugs... but while I probably never would take a 200 yd shot with a slug, the Hornady SST slugs I bought were capable.
Sorry againif Istepped on anyones toes.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:37 AM

I would like to know what slug gun you are shooting then, and what twist rate your barrel is, and introduce you to some people. Most I have talked to have not had very good luck with that load. And these are guys with dedicated slug guns, not a 870 with a rifled barrel on it.

It got a lot of hype and people were very excited about it until it hit the market. Just like most other high velocity rounds accuracy is hit or miss with them out to 100 yards, let alone 200.

What kind of groups are you getting at 200 yards out of curiousity?

Wasn't saying it couldn't be done, just wondering if you had actually used them or going by what you had heard. And saying that it is not the norm from what I have seen. I would just hate to see someone run out and buy these expecting 2 inch groups at 200 yards, I highly doubt it will happen in most cases unless you have a slug gun with a fairly fast twist rate.

You also mentioned a smooth bore, these loads will not shoot worth a flip out of a smooth bore, so you are not going to be hunting with these rounds then slip a buckshot load in there. I don't think that is what meant though. It could be taken that way from the way it reads however.

Paul