Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question on deer's behavior

Old 10-26-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Question on deer's behavior

I had a deer come out about 150-200 yards from my nest the other morning about 1hr after daylight. There were already 2 does and 2 fawns out and when I first seen the deer it was facing away from me and it appeared to be a good size. Then I noticed the deer started to rub a pretty decent size tree (jack pine). the deer was rubbing the branches on that tree like crazy for about 30 -45 seconds. I thought good when he turns so I can see those antlers I am going to be very happy according to the body size ....well this is where things turned a bit
When the deer turned and took its head out from the tree there was not an antler in sight. I thought to myself. This could be a buck who's antlers were broken off or would a doe rub a tree like that.
So that is my question to you guys. Will a doe rub a tree like a buck would. I have never seen a doe do it in my 14yrs of deer hunting. If that deer was/is a doe she is one big as* doe. I have a doe tag for my area this year and would be proud to shoot her if she is a doe. I may just shoot the deer to see which it is.......hehehe. Its a pretty big deer anyway

any thoughts
Old 10-26-2006, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Question on deer's behavior

i have hunted 21 years and never,,,,,,,, seen a doe rub
Old 10-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen does rub their head and the glands near their eyes?? as well as lick trees, but this sounds a little more than that. I did see a doe rubbing a tree with her neck and shoulders like a cow or horse. I shot her a little later that morning and she had a lot of ticks on her ears neck and belly.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:17 PM

Like woody7, I've only seen does rubbing their neck and shoulders against a tree or brush. I've never seen a doe rub a tree like a buck would and I've been hunting about 20 years or so. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't possible though. I'd be interested in knowing which it was if you do decide to take it.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:04 PM

I will let you know if I decide to shoot it. It probably won't happen for a bi though. My wife tagged a nice 7point so there is some good meat in the freezer so I am looking for a big boy. If I don't have him by the time my vacation is done I will probably take a decent size doe.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

200 yards away maybe it was a little spike that you couldn't see?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:02 AM

I would guess that doe deer are like any other critters....if you have an itch, you scratch.