Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

For those who bait, i need some advice

Old 10-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default For those who bait, i need some advice

As of late ive found that the deer dont seem to be hitting my whole apples the same day i put them out, so for the past couple weeks ive been mashin em up and makin a sort of deer apple sauce. this seems to get em comin in the next night. any body else do this, or use some other bait scent like vanilla or molasses to get the deer's attention. oh btw i dont wanna see any anti-baiting replies here, thats not why i posted, baiting helps me hunt, but in no way makes it like shooting fish in a barrel. multiple times ive had deer ignore my bait and stay out of range in favor of natural vegetation. so dont rip on me please and i wont rip on you.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For those who bait, i need some advice

My friend used to take pears and chop them up some in a tub and let them ferment a little til they started juicing and he'd throw in some corn. That stuff really had a smell. The deer seemed to love it.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:58 PM

Well around here in NW Ohio baiting is kinda pointless. I would say 80% of the area is corn, soybeans or winter wheat. I put out a stump feeder this year because the DNR told me last year that the main thing that helps a deers rack is how fast they recover from the winter starve. This spring I set it up in late march and they emptied it faster then I could fill it with corn. Then when the beans put on the pods and the corn made the ears its a all out feast for them and they don't hit it. But will admit it is a nice twenty yard shot from my stand, but have yet to see a deer at it will in the stand! But to get back to your need, I do not know if you are buying or using free apples or not but I have a few friends that say they put out peanut butter and the deer go nuts over it. My one friend buys the big generic tubs from the bulk food store here in town and then puts it in small plastic jars at his stand. If you put a big tub out the deer can eat it fast and it gets expensive. He cuts the bottom off a plastic jar and then screws the lid to a branch and every time he goes out puts up a new jar. The small jar makes the deer have to work harder to get and it will last longer also. I have not done it since I have a nice hot trial, but my friend said the deer love the peanut butter!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here a bed of aflafla hay with oats, peas or barley on top is the common baiting practice. Also a cobalt or minsalt block added to the mix.Something newbeing used around hereis a protien/mineral block for deer and elk. Ita nutrient/mineral supplementthat supposedly promotesantler growth as well. Should be available at farm centre, it's called Cerviddelite and comes in 25kg block or 8 sectioned blocks I believe. Not real cheap but it lasts longer than loose food. I know a number of guys who say they deer just hammer the stuff. Molasses based product so it has some smell to it as well, might be worth a look into.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put corn out and then rub some apples against trees. They usually come in the same night then. That biat might get old to them so try some Sugar beats or something for a treat for them.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

During the rut, capture a live doe and tie her to the bottom of your tree. Just kidding.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

We're not allowed to bait with food in Indiana, but I hear Deer co-Cain works pretty good. Also, Peanutbucker and Buckerup. As far as regular fruits and veggies, I don't know.

By the way, for anyone who is interested, the dictionary defines the word bait as: anything used as a lure; enticement. Thus,those of us whouse a call, can, scent and/or decoy,arebaiting too.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:49 PM

Sweet potatoes! We grow alot of them here in Mississippi. Deer go crazy over them.Pour some mineral salt on the ground in a 3 feet circle. Then pile the potatoes on it.They will demolish it! Better than any bait you can buy.Been using them for about 5 years now and they have dug about a foot and a half hole in the ground where I place them at.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys. Its real interesting to see what other people use in other areas. Around here its almost always corn, apples,and pumpkins, in that order. Well today i went out to my bowhunting spot in the woods behind my aunts house, and at about noon when i got there i took a ziploc bag of mashed up apples and pumpkin guts and put it in my food plot. on the way out i kicked up 2 deer from their beds. then i went back and proceeded to mow my aunts lawn, periodically hauling clippings and leaves to the edge of the woods with her riding lawn mower, not more than 60 yards from where my stand is, and when i was done with all that at 4:45 (she hasa BIG yard) i went out to my stand all all my bait was gone, and i didnt see any deer. So this means the deer came in and finished it off in less than 5 hours... Thats pretty impressive in my book. Too bad i couldnt sit out there right away, otherwise i would probably be posting about the deer i just shot!