Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do if

Old 09-20-2006, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What would you do if

A warning shot in the air is enough to get their attention , and usually enough to get the dirtbag to drop whatever he's stealing and show you a clean pair of heels . Having a cell with the local CO on speed dial is another good option .
Old 09-20-2006, 06:38 AM

The very first thing I do when in doubt about a treestand is get a good chain and lock it onto the tree. I highly doubt that most people would go through the trouble to get the stand. I hunt in areas that are far enoughaway from the roadthat the chances of somone seeing my stand is slim anyway. But, if I were to catch someone trying to steal it I would yell at them to try and scare them away first. If that did not work I would probably confront them and tell them it was my stand. If all else fails I would walk back to the truck and call the warden, or follow the person until they gave up or went to their vehicle. Getting arrested and/or shot is not worth the cost of a treestand.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

First, I would keep my gun holstered as there isn’t a threat made to me, and since I was walking up to the problem, and not retreating in fear, I wouldn’t show or point the weapon at him until I see something that would threaten me physically. I only hunt on private land of close friends; and second, I would sit back and observe the person, and call the sheriff or state police and explain to them what was going on, and to come out quickly.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ask them what in the name of god gave them the idea to steal it
Old 09-20-2006, 03:56 PM

I guess this forum is made up of a lot of retired extreme fighters. You are not going to win every fight and the real scary part of this equation is the weapons. I think you just give the guy a chance to walk away. If not call the cops.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not at all california, read my reply again!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:07 AM

If it was on public land then too bad for me. If private land then a different issue. For me I would try to assess the situation first. If the person had a firearm, then I may just not want to even make a point of it, as dying is not worth a tree stand to me. If no firearm I would likely approach and say something like "I think that you are mistaken or something, as that is my stand that you have. I would appreciate you putting it down and leaving it alone." I guess I would go from there.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:53 AM

Well first of all it would be nearly impossible to steal my tree stand as they are all homemade but if I owned one and I seen somebody taking/stealing it I would confront them and ask what they are doing and if they owned that stand. Once I notified them that it was my tree stand I would give them 2 options

1. Get the hell out of dodge so to speak or

2. Stick around a few more minutes andhe will be needing an appointment withhis dentist to fix the mess I just made of him. I am no retired extreme fighter but my 6ft 2inch & 290lbs is not something he wants to tangle with ........