Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Smoking While Deerhunting

Old 09-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Smoking While Deerhunting

ORIGINAL: 45 Cal Bill

heat usually rises so the smoke goes up, unitl a down draft..
45 Cal, if you go on the Tree Lounge Site, you will see on their videos thatwhen they set off an Orange Smoke Bomb at 20-30' the smoke never comes down to the ground!

Old 09-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have smoked while deer hunting and still have had good luck.
One deer I have shot was because I smoked. I had sat down
to light one up and heard something walking. The biggest buck
I had ever shot walk right beside me. ( about 15 yards ) So I
feel at times it may make a difference and other times it just
doesn't matter.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not condoning it but I smoke on stand. I try to keep it to a minimum and put the butts in a film vile. I think the movement associated with smoking is what can get you busted more than the oder.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

I dont recommend it, but i have friends that do and always kill deer
Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

FTH,

I've smoked most of my life and ain't proud of it. Just wentthruheart bypass surgery in July, so I as most that smoke, can say, maybe.Don't get me wrong, I'm trying weakly tostay ofthem, and failing miserably.I definitely do recommend them. I also have always said, a dope addict don't have a thing on a smoker, other than price. I've got some pretty good racks nailed up to my barn, some while smoking and some not. I, however, do believe it probably has alerted some deer that I never saw. My brother chews and talked about actually spiting tobacco juice on the back of deer that directly under his stand. In that light, I droped an empty bottle of tinks 69 (cap on) onto the back of a doe one time and she never paid it a bit of attention.

But, as I said earlier, I have no way of knowing what I might have seen had I not been smoking.

dog1

Old 09-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont smoke, but my dad smoked for years when iw as a kid and smoked while hunting all the time. the way i see it is if you really need a smoke, then smoke. but if you can make it without one, then why add an extra odor for them to smell. its hard enough outsmarting a buck, and avoiding detection, why give him more ways to detect you??
Old 09-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

My dad always smoked in the stand and he said it nevered mattered. He also never saw any good deer. Every once in a while he would see a small nub or doe but that was it.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know a guy who smokes a pipe (no not that kind of pipe... ) and smokes some kind of weird, aromatic, vanilla flavored, type of pipe tobacco. The guyalways fills his tags and swears that the pipe tobacco might actually be a curiosity smell to a deer.

....Go figure.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

butch, i used to have some teenagers sit up wind from me in bow season and smoke "that kind of pipe". i never saw any deer under those circumstances, and i doubt they saw much of anything going on around them.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL!!! Yeah, I can imagine.... That type of, uh, smoke would definitely not be natural to a deer or anything else in the woods.

Quick Reply: Smoking While Deerhunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.