Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new to hunting...need some help

Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 AM

Default new to hunting...need some help

I just started hunting in the last two years and am getting hooked! The problem in Indiana is finding land. What suggestions do you guys have for both of the following: 1)hunting on public land and 2) asking permission to hunt on private land.

I know a lot of people use climbing tree stands on public land, but I'm a little nervous about using one and am not ready to fork over that kind of dough. Are portable ground blinds worth it and are they safe on public land?

Also, I've hunted on private land in Indiana, but I don't want to overstay my welcome/barge into another hunting party's grounds.

Thanks in advance for all the help! I've been reading posts all over this forum, and they've mostly been extremely helpful for a newby.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new to hunting...need some help

Welcome jaymac.

As for public land, the key is to do some pre-season scouting.
Get some maps, a compass and if possible (not necessary but
kind'a helpful) an inexpensive GPS unit. Use the maps to locate
some likely spots AWAY FROM THE ROADS AND WELL TRAVELED
PATHS. This is key on public land. Most will tell you (because
it's true) the average human will not walk very far into the woods.
This will be an advantage to you. Get to know the area you want
to hunt. I'm not much for tree stands myself as I like to be mobil.
Conditions change.
If you have access to some good private land I'd say try to stay
on. If you're worried about wearing out your welcome find some
way to be useful to the owner. Volunteer to do some work, give
them some type of gifts or just be a good steward. Don't give
up a hunting spot.

Good luck and have a great season.
God bless,
PK
Old 09-03-2006, 06:17 PM

i go looking around in area i'm already hunting, for lunch..

if something is found, i look for nearby houses and stop by.
they usually can tell me if they own it or owner.. from there be yourself and ask for permission or see if they'll lease it to you and maybe one other..

here folks are funny and don't want you camping or messing up their property..

do the good ole boy thing and you'll be surprised..

my private hunting place was found that way and 5 years later still there..

BTW i call owner every other week and ask if they need any help.. that goes a long way..
Old 09-03-2006, 09:40 PM

Thanks guys for the help! If anybody else has any thoughts, please post 'em. I'm eager to learn and want to soak up as much as possible.

Good luck this season!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:48 PM

I am a oilfield worker and I know if you talk to the state where you live, you can get a look book with no cost to getthe name of the landowner, but there no addresses or phone numbers. Find what county you want to hunt in and in section will place lastnames and some number (section, township and range). Usally there is the last name, and sometimes first and name. Just look them up in the phonebook and call them or go to their address where they live and ask. Thats the task i have to do everyday when i was to drill a new oil or gas well.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:25 PM

I'll see if we have that book in Indiana! Thanks. As far as public land goes--do you basically find the high points and sit by the tree? Or do you try to stalk and see if you spring anything?

Like I said, new to hunting and still learning techniques.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Jaymac , welcome to deer hunting , you're gonna have a lot more questions soon .

I do preseason scouting for new places with TerraServer , this allows me to cover ground and get the lay of the land without actually going there , it also allows me to find the tracts of public land so that I don't accidentally trespass . Once I find a spot that looks promising I drive to it and do some ground scouting , small publics can be almost unhunted sometimes and they can be real honeyholes . Scouting from an aerial pic or topo also shows you where the most likely funnels are , where the competing hunters will most likely enter , and the probable escape routes of the deer once they do . A pop-up blind is an excellent way to do drop in hunts , I have a couple of them . Place them within some brush or brush them in as needed to obscure their outline . The deer may still see them , but once they fgure out that the new object doesn't move they usually ignore it . Public land is first come , first served , but if you see orange be courteous and move off as quietly as you can to avoid busting the other guy's set up . I usually watch the trail for bootprints to avoid that situation . Getting permission to hunt private land can be as simple as approaching the landowner , introducing yourself , and simply asking if they will discuss it . Other times it may take some salesmanship and possibly a little "palm grease" . Look presentable , be polite , and don't pressure them . If they say no just smile and thank them for their time and move on . Several of the guys who frequent the Indiana site at the addy in my sig line are from your area , they may be able to help you a little with local access and the best locations at the local publics .
Old 09-05-2006, 07:27 AM

Thanks Kevin for the tips! You'd think being in sales, I would feel comfortable approaching houses, just not my kind of sales I guess. Also, do you put hunter orange on top of the ground blind so as to identify yourself in public lands? Do you use more than one on public land? Are other hunters going to "walk away" with your blind if you leave it to do some stalking? I've heard of people stealing tree stands when going onto other people's land!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

JAYMAC - putting a piece of orange on top of a ground blind isn't a bad idea on public land. It may keep hunters from walking right into your setup and possibly spooking deer that you're watching. I have personally walked to within 20-30 yards of a blind before I saw it - the newer camo patterns sometimes really blend into the surroundings well!
As far as someone walking away with your stuff - you just never know. It happens far too often on public land, and yes - even on private land - land where you may have permission to be, and they don't!
On public land, I make the choice to either be mobile or sitting on a particular day - not both. If I'm going to be moving around (more than 100 yards from my stuff), I'll take it with me.
As far as location of your stand - wherever you hunt - it's always best to do some pre-season scouting to identify major trails to/from bedding and/or feeding areas. Just sitting on a high spot won't do much good if the deer don't normally travel withing your range of vision. While it's true that they may travel anywhere, they have established travel routes and also escape routes that they normally will use when spooked. It's far better to have a limited field of view in a high percentage area than a broad view where the deer rarely go.
One tactic that I have found successful - especially on public land - is to find an area well back from roads (as previously mentioned) where most hunter don't go. I like to locate a spot that is very thick (most hunters won't go there, either, they'll walk around them). This will sometimes be the bedding area of the deer in that area. Pick out a stand location where you have a clear shot (maybe only 30-50 yards max) of one major trail running through it (or where two intersect if possible), and be there and settled in WELL before daylight (here's where a GPS will serve you well). I also use the "Bright Eyes" thumbtacks to mark my trail into my spot ahead of time (easily picked out with a flashlight in the dark). But if it's foggy, the GPS will really pay off to help you find your way. Anyway - once there, I stay all day, or until I've got my deer. Sit very still, be quiet and look sharp. Let the other people move deer to you.
Make sure you follow the laws concerning carrying a loaded weapon during the dark hours. Just don't forget to quietly load your weapon after you are seated and settled in.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jaymac

Thanks Kevin for the tips! You'd think being in sales, I would feel comfortable approaching houses, just not my kind of sales I guess. Also, do you put hunter orange on top of the ground blind so as to identify yourself in public lands? Do you use more than one on public land? Are other hunters going to "walk away" with your blind if you leave it to do some stalking? I've heard of people stealing tree stands when going onto other people's land!
Selling yourself is what salesmen do Jaymac , but this time sell the steak instead of the sizzle ...

I have an orange camo topper for my Ameristep Outhouse pop-up that I use for public land , and I wear an orange hat too because of the regs . Can't be too safe , and neither seem to bother the deer . I only use one blind on publics , it's all I need since it's very portable . If I thought that I needed more than one blind I'd just use natural cover . Leaving any personal property on public land is a crapshoot , even if you try to conceal it . Pop-ups and climbers are portable for a reason . Thieves steal because you make it easy for them and in a woods they have cover and all the time in the world to do their business , stay portable for publics .
Here's a couple of blinds that work well for gun hunting:
Guide Gear™ Pro Series Pop-up Blinds.
Ameristep® Chair Blind

Both the blinds in the upper link will accomodate an Ameristep blaze camo topper if safety is a concern .

BTW , did you get a chance to check out that Indiana site I mentioned ? There's a great group of guys there with lots of Indiana specific info to share .

Quick Reply: new to hunting...need some help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.