Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Google Earth

Old 07-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Google Earth

Has anyone ever used this tool to look at your piece of hunting ground? It is a great overview of your property and ground. Plus it's free!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Google Earth

I would only caution that sometimes the images are several years behind real-time, from what I understand. Depends upon how much the layout of your land has changed.

Other than that, it's an awesome tool.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:25 AM

Ive used it and found that it isnt to clear in the moutain area. in the city it is very clear. but you can also see the elavation of the moutains valleys and more that could help your hunting
Old 07-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

No I haven't. I always go to the closesCourt House in the area and the Engineering Office will sell me Aerial Copies for $3.50 each. If you have them Zoom IN, it will be 3 or 4 copies.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Google Earth is awesome...If you download the latest version it will overlay roads, show you hotels, food, etc.Some of the satellite images are out of date and some of the not so populated areas do not have great detail. The only state that was really well photographed wasIndiana for some reason?Also, if you don't want todownload yourgoogle earth simply go to http://www.maps.google.com and you'll get the same picturesbut rather than an application it streams through your browser. A long time ago I was able to get high resolution photos (2 years old) from terraserver http://terraserver.microsoft.com/. After a lot of copying and pasting into photoshop I had a really HUGE map of our farms. Good luck!!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Spike

Try Microsoft Virtual Earth - http://local.live.com
They seem to have more up to date rural pictures on average.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Spike

Another good site is topozone.com for topographic maps.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 PM

Google and microsoft are fine but they are both old! at least in my area, My neighbor built a house fifteen years ago and its not in the pic! The best that I have found was posted on here by Rick James and it was Yahoo. In my opinion it is alot better images and at least for my area is up todate. The farm I hunt on had a barn burn last year and the satalite shows the barn gone! Heres the link.... http://maps.yahoo.com/beta
Old 07-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Spike

Hotburn,
You're right about Yahoo. I was just checking out a couple of my locations and the Yahoo maps were newer than the other two.
Thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 12:16 AM

TRY TERRA SERVER. ITS BETTER AND YOU GET 2 DIFFERENT VIEWING STYLES AND ITS FREE AS WELL

Quick Reply: Google Earth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.