Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where to setup??

Old 07-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Where to setup??

I am very confused about where I should be setting up this fall for Whitetail... I know where there were some good scrapes last year shoudl I setup a trail camera there?? i have seen tracks where I have the camera setup now but haven't caught a thing on camera...and its not cause my exposure is slow I just dont have any pics on my camera....also should i setup in the thick stuff or on the edge of an opening??? man I am confused some one help...
Old 07-25-2006, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Where to setup??

If you see fresh tracks where the camera is set up you have a defective camera if you don't have some pictures. Try scattering a sack of corn in front of the camera and see if you don't get a few pictures.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

after you set your camera up, give it a minute and walk past it to make sure it works. When you develop your film, there should be a picture of you. Otherwise, it is time to purchase a new camera.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have fresh tracks on a well travel route and scrapes in the same area then I would set up some where along that trail.
Get a good ground blind like a Double Bull and put it in some thick brush don't forget to cover your blind up a little with some dead fall branchs and put some on the roof too.
Spread a sack of corn and apples in front of your blind about 20 to 30 yards away and if you get that camera fixed , you might get some decent photos , good luck and besafe.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Site Buck Guru

Start slow man and work on the basics untill you get to know deer and their habits. The more deer you see, the more you get to know them. About deer, they eat, sleep and breed. If you know where they eat and sleep, you'll find out where they breed.

About you, you must know your quarry. Their best senses are smelling, hearing and seeing. In that order. So, you find a spot where you can observe the deer from without them knowing you're there. I call these observation stands. You could get lucky and get one from there. But mostly you make a plan on where to set up next, once you see a pattern where you think you can get a shot. Be careful and take it slow. Don't let them bust you. Once they know you're there, they'll be gone and you'll have to start over.
Good luck.