Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Not to smart

Old 11-04-2002, 11:48 AM

Default Not to smart

I was just wondering if anybody else saw this on tv the other morning. I think it was on oln??? not sure. It was a show about hunting moose. These two guys were tracking a beautiful bull moose to try and get a shot. They were on top of a hill looking down into a valley. The one guy sets his gun down muzzle up. Then he takes a pair of binoculars out. He kneels down puts the binoculars on the muzzle of the gun and starts to look threw them out at the valley. At one point he had leaned back far enough so that the angle of the gun was pointing at the top of his head. My son was the one who pointed it out to me. He's only 9 and he asked if that was a very safe thing to do. I told him the guy was flirting with his life and that you ALLWAYS treat every gun as if it were loaded.I thought this was one of the dumbest moves I'ld ever seen. I was just wondering if anyone else saw this show.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:55 AM

Default RE: Not to smart

I didn't see that show, but I have seen lots of unsafe moves on hunting shows. People grazing their partners head with their muzzle, even saw one guy climb into a tree stand with a gun straped to his back. Not good examples if you ask me.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

In a word...BRUTAL!!!! I didn't see the show, but have seen stuff that would compare and thought what the HE!! is he doing? All to often people forget about the muzzle of their guns and more importantly they are loaded. Safety on a gun is a mechanism, mechanisms fail and accident can occur. You know one time goose hunting, (I always sit with the safety on and the chamber cracked on my pump, just in case) anyway we were sitting their awaiting the first flight when POW exploded the dec. chair beside me...I thought what the ? We were guiding some guys and one loaded his autoloader and accidently touched off the trigger...the safety failed on a very expensive gun. The only thing that was hurt was the chair and his ears from the ringing....thank God. Moral never assume. Needless to say I felt pretty ansy that morning and was glad when it ended.

Old 11-04-2002, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

PS your boys seems very smart and well educated. CUDO's to you!!!

Old 11-04-2002, 01:42 PM

That's not too bright.....pretty astute kid too! You must have taught him well!

I was watching a show the other day and they were after Caribou....took a 70 yard (thats what he kept exclaiming after the shot) shot while running....not the caribou running, but the hunter running. Was a kill shot...but still 70 yards......running???