Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what is the dumbest thing that you have done in the woods?

Old 07-24-2006, 01:39 AM

Default RE: what is the dumbest thing that you have done in the woods?

Assuming the raccoon was dead when it fell out of the tree.

Then handing my shotgun to my father as I walked over to get it.

Talk about a fast backpeddle!
And I was between the coon and dad, so he couldn't shoot.
Took 4 direct hits from my 44 to stop him. Drew and pumped those out so fast I was done before I knew it. Don't think my heart stopped pounding for a good 10 min.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done a few things that are dumb...the most probably being...

A few seasons ago I was climbing a tree with my Ol Man climber and hadn't snapped the safety pin into the groove on the stand...about 20 feet up in the air on an upward push the bottom half of my stand came off of the tree...

Needless to say...it sucked. I caught myself on the underside of my arms, but it was 5am, I had a flashlight in my mouth, and a 20 pound backpack on. Once I "dipped" (for all you weightlifters) my way back up onto the net seat, I finally got the bottom part of the stand raised back up to where I was at, attached back to the tree, and put the safety pin into the groove this time.

That stunk bad.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

I almost did what Crew Dawg did about 3 days ago. I was pig hunting with my .44 Ruger Super BlackHawk at my deer lease and in the middle of the day I was messing around by seeing how fast I could draw it and pull the hammer back. When i did this i tried to uncock it and my thumb slipped on the hammer making the gun go off. I was holding the gun with my right hand with my left arm kind of sticking out. The shot made my hand blow back and i thought i shot myself. When i looked at my hand it was bleeding and black. It felt real weird like I had beens shocked. Then it swelled up and went numb. Now its fine but it was a dangerously close call.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Climbed up in an old rotted homeade stand because it was in a great spot. Didn't take a climber because I was SURE it would be fine. I shot a nice 8 point sitting down, and when I stood up to watch it go...CRASH...my leg went right through the stand...right up to my crotch. Took me over fiftenn miutes to break myself out and get down. Needless to say it is out of commision now.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FroMan
A few seasons ago I was climbing a tree with my Ol Man climber and hadn't snapped the safety pin into the groove on the stand...about 20 feet up in the air on an upward push the bottom half of my stand came off of the tree...

Needless to say...it sucked. I caught myself on the underside of my arms, but it was 5am, I had a flashlight in my mouth, and a 20 pound backpack on. Once I "dipped" (for all you weightlifters) my way back up onto the net seat, I finally got the bottom part of the stand raised back up to where I was at, attached back to the tree, and put the safety pin into the groove this time.

That stunk bad.
mines very similar. I had set my climber up so that it was pointed upward at a pretty good angle because the tree got so much smaller at the top, well it didnt get as small as I thought and about 18' up at still a pretty good angle it decided to give way. Luckily I caught myself under the armpits just like FRO and had to "dip" my way back up to position. I never climbed with a safety harness until that day, now I have one of the 30' summit leashes that lets me hook onto the tree as soon as I start my ascent.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

I would have to say I was bowhunting and missed this deer at 20 yards. The deer trotted off to about 50 yards and I was mad. So to make a long story short I picked up my water bottle threw it at him and hit him. Upon retriving my water bottle about 5 minutes later I spooked another buck bigger than the one I missed. What a dumb a** I was. hehehehehe