Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what is the dumbest thing that you have done in the woods?

Old 07-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what is the dumbest thing that you have done in the woods?

About 3 years ago Iput my climber at the base of my tree the night before opening day and locked it. Came back the next morning and realized I left that key at home. Had to drive 13 miles back home to get it but still got there before first light.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just did a similar thing i forgot the key to the trigger lock when going to the range . didn't get to shoot that day
Old 07-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BIRD DOG

No Toilet Paper!
Same here. [&o]
Old 07-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would say the dumbest thing I did was forgeting my safety harness one day and getting in my treestand anyway. ( DUH )
Will thats right you guess it, I went to sleep while sitting in my stand and fell twenty feet down hitting every branch on my left side.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:13 AM

shot a squirrel while it was in the part of the tree where abuncha branches came together, and I killed him but when he died he just stayed in the tre, I shoulda waited 5 seconds for him to move so he woulda fell out when I killed him. He was a fat'n too.

-Travis-
Old 07-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

This past year I got excited after shooting a doe, that I didn't look to see if their were anymore deer around me before getting ready to get out of the stand. I take my arrow off the quiver, hook my bow and lower it to the ground, only to look up and see a wide and tall 8 pointer I have been chasing all season standing 10 yards away.

And as amazing as it sounds he put his head back down and allowed me enough time to get my bow back in the tree, put my release back on, and nock another arrow and come to full draw before he bolted. All I needed from his was another few seconds to aim.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ate tacos before i wen tand then forgot the TP[&o][][>:]
Old 07-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've read enough posts to remember to always pack TP when hunting... Nobody ever said anything about packing it when scouting though

Once I went hunting with a friend. When we got to the WMA, we got all of our gear together, sprayed down, etc. We go to grab our guns, and he realizes he doesn't have the key to his trigger lock. Well, I loaned him my truck to go back home with the understanding he will be back at noon to get me. When I get out of the woods, no truck. I called him with my cell, waking him up. I got to hunt for a little while that afternoon too...
Old 07-23-2006, 09:55 PM

dumbest thing.. well i second the forgot toilet paper. but the first dumb thing i did was forget to pull the hammer back when trying to shoot a deer lol.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

First season of my bowhunting career I usually forgot the TP. After that season I quickly learned to carry a roll in my day pack.

A few years ago I learned that it's imperative toWALK into the woods or through fields with an arrow knocked....missed a 12 yd quartering away shot at a 150" 8pt! DOH!

Notice I said WALK with an arrow knocked. Two years ago I was in my climber...hadn't seen much deer movement but heard some gobblers in the bottoms. I decided to get down and go after them instead. As I was getting closer they began to shift position so I took off in a sprint to flank them. You guessed, I tripped and did a face plant into the mud.....with bow in hand with a knocked arrow. The arrow fell off the rest and luckily missed me. Could have been worse and I should have known better than to do that....it's like running with a loaded gun. And I can't think of a time in the woods where I have felt like such a moron! I was the only one that saw it but it's embarassing when I consider myself a seasoned hunter and commit such a rookie mistake.

Quick Reply: what is the dumbest thing that you have done in the woods?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.