Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what is the dumbest thing that you have done in the woods?

Old 07-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is the dumbest thing that you have done in the woods?

Proposing.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I forgot my quiver with my arrows once. I was practicing before I went out. I take my quiver off and lay it on the ground. I got a phone call so I had to run inside (took my bow with me). Got off the phone, jumped in my truck , and headed out to go hunting. I hiked to my stand (the farthest one on my property). I climbed up, went to knock an arrow and poof............. no quiver.......no arrow![:@]
Old 07-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you demanded respect you would have sclupted an arrow out of a hanging branch to the exact speifications needed.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:21 PM

well lets see there are soooooooo many., but here is one ., im 20 feet up in a tree, and nature calls., []., and it is -4 temp., i mean nature really calls., where i could not move., soooooooooo what did i do????? / you will never believe and never know/.lol.,
Old 07-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

This didn't happen to me but it happened to a former coworker.

He got up extra early for the first day of archery season. he hunted state game land and wanted to get in the woods extra early to let the late arriving hunters possibly push deer to him. He got to the hunting area a little too early.

He got out and started getting his gear and climbing stand ready. He looked at his watch and realized he was really, really early. So he decided to just wait in his truck for a little while.

He waited a while and thensaw headlights coming. It wasanother truck with hunters. As they pulled up to park beside him he heard them run over something. It was his bow.

It wasbroke and all messed up.The other guys said they were sorry and felt real bad, buthe admitted it was his faultfor setting this bow there.

Anyway the bow was broke so he just put his stuff back in his truck and went home. After getting up that early and getting all prepared, he didn't even get to hunt.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's another story that happened to my dad.Its not a stupidity story butI thought it was funny.

We hunt a state park here in PA. There is a small primitive campground on a little knob. About 100yds down the hill, from it, you are allowed to hunt. There are several hiking trails that meander through the woods there.

It was archery season. My dad was dressed head to toe in his 3D leafy camo suit.Headnet and all.He was hunting from the ground and was sitting on a log in a little brush waiting for a deer to walk down the hiking trail. The deer always walk down these trails eating the falling white oak acorns.

Anyway, he was sitting there when these three little girls came walking down the hiking trail laughing and talking. They were getting closer and closer to him.
He decided that maybe he should stand up so they would see that he was hunting there. He stood up and the three girls froze there,staring at him. He lifted his hand and waived. He said those girls started screaming and tripping over each other as they turned and started running backup the trail. I wonder what they thought he was?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome stories, windwalker.

The "no toilet paper" reminded me of the time I was fishing with Dad when I was about six or seven. We didn't have any toilet paper with us either, so I used leaves. Yep, you guessed it: the kind with three leaves clustered together!

Mom had to run lukewarm bathwater and pour baking soda in itand I sat and soaked all day for almost a week -- one of the worst weeks of my young life at that point.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:27 PM

It was opening day and when I reached my treestand, I forgot my tree steps!! In fact, I forgot my daypack! So, I had to walk all the waayyy back to camp and retrieve my pack. Needless to say, I said a few choice words.
I reached my stand at daybreak sweating like a stuff pig. Needless to say, I didn't have much luck that morning. DOH!!

Old 07-22-2006, 02:34 AM

GregH: I never really used a compass until last year and made that same mistake.

I would have to say that the dumbest mistake that I've ever made was not taking a perfectly good shot on some nice bucks. I used to wait for them to get closer or present a better shot. Usually that never comes.

Another mistake I have made was taking a buddy along with me. Cost me a few nice deer. Thats why I love to hunt by myself or keep my distance from my fellow hunting friend.

Ohhhh...how many of you have spit while wearing your face mask????Especially one that you just worked up. I have done that a few times.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Proposing.
I was sitting here wondering if this had to be hunting related.I'm just gonna keep mine to myself......[:-][:-]

Quick Reply: what is the dumbest thing that you have done in the woods?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.