Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wildest thing that happend to you in the woods.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wildest thing that happend to you in the woods.

That is awesome HollyHoyt, thats pretty cool he asked you to marry him like that.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Last year.....(not very exciting, but 'strange').....I got off work early to get into my favorite area to bowhunt. It's about 3:00pm....and I get into a good tree with my climber. I get up to about 20'......and retrieve my bow from my haul line.

I've never felt it before....but something didn't feel 'right'. I began to feel REALLY uncomfortable. I climbed down.....and decided to change locations. I left the climber there.....and went over to where I had a lock-on located. I climbed up......retrieved my bow....and sat down. Again....this VERY uneasy feeling came over me. I fel like something was telling me to get out of the woods. I climbed down......walked by to retrieve my climber.....and walked home.

I've never felt that way since then. I just knew I had to get out of the woods that day.

Jeff
Old 07-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

More on my cougar story. I was hunting in an area where robinhood sent me to. I was sneaking along a trail with lots of deer sign, The day began to drag on with no sight of any deer. I kept hearing noises behind me. Kind of like a muffled crunching noise. This went on for a hundred yards or so. Curiosity got the best of me so I began to double back to find out what may just be following me. As I reached a big ponderosa, a large cat stepped out and began to give off a soft moan. It was like a cat when it sees another strange housecat. The moans began to escalate into more of like a whining scream. I tried to get around and out of the way and then the cat cut loose like you see on tv. Lots of screaming and teeth showing. At this point the cat was about 15 yards from me and I knew that one of us was probably not going to make it out out the woods in one peice. I did not want it to be me, so I made a decision. The cat is now on my wall

This last weekend I was camping in the back country. This area is known for its wolves and bears. My freind and I were woke up about 2:30 in the morning by some whacked out rustling noises in the bushes next to our bags. I reached under my pillow and pulled out the .44 and flashlight. I was ready for whatever was in our camp. Just then my freind started to laugh like crazy. We had been hit by a hungry mouse and he had a granola bar wrapper stuck on his head and was running into everything in site. Here we are, two big bad outdoorsmen with our pistols drawn on a deranged mouse. Talk about laughing. It was the funniest thing seeing that poor mouse trying to get the wrapper of his head. What a bunch of noise from such a tiny camp guest.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-18-2006, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the story Elkcrazy8.

The only story I have to tell is when I was turkey hunting in Washington State with a single shot .410. We got in early and set up on some jakes we had watched roost the night before. The only clear shot we would have in that brush was on the logging road. So we set up on the opposite side of the road from the turkeys. There I was sitting there in total darkness awaiting the sunrise in full camo with a single shot .410, a pocket knife and a box call. A few minutes after it starts getting light , I see a movement across the road from me. I get my shotgun better aligned. Then as the movement comes out of the brush and into the open, I carefully move the box call as far away from me as possible and sit there watching a cougar walk straight towards me while looking at my hunting partner down the road to my right. It continued walking straight towards me until it was 8 yards out, then it turned and walked around me on my left and went into the brush behind me. I just sat there listening to my partners calling up a storm with their turkey calls for a few minutes while looking over my ownshoulder wondering where that cat went (they move so quite through the woods). Needless to say the turkeys didn't come down from the roost because that cat had walked right under them.

It's not the strangest story but it sure makes you wonder why you would want the challenge of taking a single shot .410 turkey hunting.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

I was stationed at Kirtland AFB. in New Mexico in 95. Me and some friends went out one night to test out a buddies new electronc caller. We took to seperat trucks. There were three guys with the caller in the first truck. We saw a couple of Coyotes but the best was a Bobcat. Bobcats are usually very shy about showing themselves. This was a young cat and aparently hadn't been doing too well. Because he came in full bore, went up the door and through the window. He was then the proud owner of one new Chevy truck.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

For starters me falling 20ft from my treestand and landing flat on my back. I somewhat shake it off and start crawling out of the woods. I finally get to my feet and slowly walk out. Years later my lower back is really giving me fits. Long story short I see the dr and find out my back is broken. Been broken ever since that fall. Oh well operation to risky cause I got some bone chips in the syatic nerve. So 70% chance of walking again or 30 percent Id be in a wheel chair. Ive taken the painful way and have just dealt with it. It hasnt slowed me down I deal with it and go. Ok next thing that was really cool. My buddy ended up rasing a fawn he found last year. This fawn Festus as hes called was abandoned by his mother. So we watch Festus grow. He was not kept inside or penned up, he was free to come and go. We petted him and played with him. Really cool. Anyway Im walking across the bean field to my stand to bow hunt and I hear something charging at me and its Festus. Its just funny to watch a deer run across the field to you when ya know your going in to hunt. So I petted Festus and he walked to my stand with me. I just wish someone would have had a camera there to take that pic. Festus is still around today but he has pretty much changed his ways and wont come to us anymore and thats fine he wont be shot. Arrowmaster
Old 07-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Spike

I was fishing by myselfon a pond at Lexington OK public hunting area. and as it got dark I decided to stay the night. The only campingequipment I had was a coleman lantern and an old canvas tarp, but the fish were biting so well I didn't want to leave.

A little after midnight I heard the first coyotes howling.They sounded like they were only a few hundred yards away. Within thenext hour or so I heard what sounded like a dozen or more yipping, howling and then fighting. The fighting went on for quite a while and it sounded like they were really tearing each other apart. I'd heard coyotes howling lots of times, but I never heard a fight like that before or since.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Well I know this doesn't have anything to do with deer hunting or being in the woods but it does have to do with hunting and is the wildest thing I've seen in the outdoors.
I was duck hunting with my dad a public hunting marsh. Just sitting back in the boatwatching the skies, not much had been flying and these two coot one from each side of us swing around and right in front of us collide in mid air, fall from the sky, both stone dead right in the middle of our decoys. Probably laughed about it for a good hour.