Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

are coyotes really...

Old 06-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: are coyotes really...

who cares. wolves were virtually exterminated out west and coyote numbers boom despite our best efforts. They will be here loooong after humans kill each other off. They are north america's most efficient survivor. they will scavenge, they will kill, if needed they can adapt to an almost total vegitarian diet.
they have my respect!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:51 PM

I'll never pass up a coyote unless I'm out of bullets (or shotshells or arrows)! With that said, I feel compelled to give another perspecitive. For instance, I can't count the number of posts, especially those derived from the mid-Atlantic and southern states, which express a concern about over population of deer, and more specifically "does" in those regions.

My hunting thrills rely mainly on big (comparitively speaking, it really depends on where you hunt) bucks and nice, mature does whenever my freezer's empty. Butshouldn't we welcome some assistance fromthe coyote if it helps us withthis issue? I'm inclined to side withYOU, but just feel like being the Devil's advocate in this instance.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Howler,
No offense, but how many people do you know that ranch Rocky Mountain sheep? I said sheep as in BAAAHHHH, I like lamb chops and wear wool socks sheep and raise them for a living.
I have a hard time believing that any rancher who isn't raisingcattle would rather have coyotes than not to keep the rodent population down. Ihave never heard that approach before. Either way, I guess it doesn'tmatter, just two opposing opinions about the same issue. When you hunt them this winter kill a few for me
Old 06-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Fork Horn

For those who don't think yotes are a threat think of this-when coyote numbers go up young deer and turkey numbers go down.(fact)
Old 06-17-2006, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224

Are coyotes really that bad. I have heard from some people yes. Kill everyone of them. I have read some articles that say. They arent that bad. The article said they only pick on sick deer. If they get lucky maybe even a fawn.A normal healty deer is just wayto fast for a coyote.I could go both ways on this. Whats everyone else view?
as long as there is a balanced population of predator vs prey, coyotes wont put a whole lot of harm on a deer population.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

A family friend in CO has had numerous sheep killed by coyotes in a single eveningand left without even being nibbled on. They kill them for fun apparently. He bought a llama and it has killed a few and protected his sheep, but the hatred still lives on. He has seen them kill who know howmany elk calves, sheep, mule deer, etc.
I guess I owe ya an appology then. I got confused when you went from having a llama protecting his sheep to where you put domesticated sheep in the same sentence with wild game!!
By the way, even very few healthy mule deer get taken by coyotes. Mule deer are the aggresor and will actually chase coyotes and this is why many of us westeners have mule deer come into our sets when we are calling coyotes!! Mtn. lion take way more mule deer in this state than do coyotes!!
Again, my appology!!! I'll kill my share of them this winter, I promise!!
Old 06-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not a coyote expert by any means.The area in which I live has a plentiful coyote population.I know that than when the coyote population is prolific we see a reduction in the amount of fawns.Our bear population has also risen quite significantly in the last several years and they put a hurt on fawns as well.
I have witnessed 2 coyotes kill a healthy adult doe,and I have friends who have watched coyote's work a deer in to an area where the deer was necked down in to an area where the alpha dog was waiting.Lastly while turkey hunting I have had coyote's come in to me from different directions they were coming to my calling.
As it relates to my killing them,if it is in season and I have the opportunity they get shot.I have never specifically hunted them but I have shot several.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

They make cool mounts though, here's a bowkill.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Banned

Rob!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Nice mount