Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

are coyotes really...

Old 06-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: are coyotes really...

Public Enemy # 1 in my woods. We commonly hear them hunting in packs in the mountains around our land. You can always find the kill spot the next day - tons of single hair bristles from the deer all over the areas with blood like a meat room - no other sign of hide, bone or head - they take it all. You can hear this at least 1 time a week around my house.

I was hunting a few years back - snowing hard and I was heading home about 4 miles in the hills. I was heading up a ridge to cross over near dark and I looked down behind me seeing my tracks in the foot deep snow and 5 or 6 coyotes were tracking me and heading up the hill on my trail. With 1 in camber and 4 in magazine I dropped 5 with my Woodmaster auto before they new what hit them. The last I did not see again.

If you see them and it is in your permit for your area- shoot them.

Why compete with these animals for game? They are useless and the ideas that the liberal biologist have that they keep a balance of nature if just plain horse crap.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know a lot about them nor do I know what effects they have on the deer herd, but I have seen more over the past two years than I ever have. We have been hunting the same general area for 20+ years now and they are starting to be more visible than ever.

Last year for example I could hear them yelping .....every evening as I decended from my stand. I could hear them yelping and howling as I tracked my down deer. I cannot be certain of what they are capable of, but the deer disappeared in the area I hunt. My daily sightings went from 15-20 per day to 2 maybe 3 a day. Again, I can't be sure it's from the yotes, but I think it has a little to do with the deer avoiding the area.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:15 AM
G5

i dont think that coyotes are really that damaging to a deer heard. But their are many other animal populations that they can hurt. Such if your in an area that is trying to get pheasant populations up the coyotes arent going to help that at all. They are simply a predator and there are many of them. Now i dont go coyote hunting, i have done it before but listening to tapes of dieing rabbits at 0200 is not that fun. But if I come across one while hunting i will kill it.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen a group of 3 coyotes chase, catch, and kill a full grown seemingly healthy cow elk. So, if you don't think that coyotes kill deer you are highly mistaken. I would kill every single one on the farms if I could. I am with Hardcore that I would rather foxes and hawks because they will keep the rodents down and not kill the deer. I hate, hate, hate coyotes because of what I have seen them do. A family friend in CO has had numerous sheep killed by coyotes in a single eveningand left without even being nibbled on. They kill them for fun apparently. He bought a llama and it has killed a few and protected his sheep, but the hatred still lives on. He has seen them kill who know howmany elk calves, sheep, mule deer, etc.Here in Ohio I have come across a bunch ofmauled fawns.I would much rather have thedeer and more rabbits and quail than coyotes so I will continue to try to kill them forever. Thankgod it is always open season for coyotes here.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I most likley won't "kill 'em all" but I sure as heck gunna try. I don't like the fact that there is something other than me killing deer. And if someone don't kill em there not gunna get lower in numbers, there's gunna be more and the more yotes there are the more food they are gunna need. And that is when fawn numbers go down.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

He has seen them kill who know howmany elk calves, sheep, mule deer, etc.
I'm sorry, BUT I highly doubt this very statement. It is rare for domestic animals to be "witnessed" being killed, let alone this many wild aniamls by one person. I say, there is a lot of "hearsay" being talked around here!!
Again, I ask, who here hunts an area that has had fewer deer tags alotted because of coyotes having an impact on the deer.
Studys ahve been shown that the two times that coyotes have the largerst impact on deer is during fawning season, and during hunting season!!
For a coyote to find a sleeping fawn is chance happening, since fawns are scentless!!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:00 PM

I'm sorry, BUT I highly doubt this very statement. It is rare for domestic animals to be "witnessed" being killed, let alone this many wild aniamls by one person. I say, there is a lot of "hearsay" being talked around here!!
Again, I ask, who here hunts an area that has had fewer deer tags alotted because of coyotes having an impact on the deer.
Studys ahve been shown that the two times that coyotes have the largerst impact on deer is during fawning season, and during hunting season!!
For a coyote to find a sleeping fawn is chance happening, since fawns are scentless!!
I agree
Old 06-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i remember reading a study done in VA that said yotes can kill up to 75% of the fawns born each year!

Also, i consider myself the ultimate predator and i will kill any lesser opponents. I also really enjoy predator hunting at night, itgives special pleasure to hunt at night. as well as they are a formidible animal to hunt.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mlo3135127

I agree
I agree as well. Coyotes are amazing animals. Doesn't mean I won't shoot one, but they are amazing. I've watched a coyote stalk a heard of does with fawns and the does just watched with concern. They will kill whatever they can get, but I don't see them rampaging deer herds or turkey populations.

I released some pen raised quail on a friends property on the eastern plains of CO hoping to start a covey there. We were fearful because of the high numbers of coyotes and foxes. They are still there and growing.

Coyotes are not some sort of super-predator and are certainly no threat to modern hunters. Remeber that prey animals have defenses equal to the predator's abilities.

The key is keeping it all in balance so that one doesn't outweight the other.

Spud
Old 06-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I
think it's funny when some guys flip out when a coyote kills a deer and than go out the next day and kill a deer themselves.
Are you a coyote expert? They kill fawns and a pretty good pack will pull down more then a few deer. Fawns equal future deer herds. They are creatures of opportunity.If you have just a few in an area they will probably do minimal damage to the herd.

Quick Reply: are coyotes really...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.