Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

are coyotes really...

Old 06-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: are coyotes really...

A coyote can and will take a healthy deer if the right opportunity arises. And then factor in that usually there are at least two coyotes... ANother thing to look at is the fawn mortality, say they kill 30%, which is a realistic figure according to research that I have read or heard, then given all the other natural mortality, ie cars, disease, hunting pressure. Within 3 years you are going to see significant deer reduction. Don't ask me to quote where I read this but Ibuy or subscribe toabout 10 hunting mags a month, plus taxidermy mags plus websites, plus tv shows. So if they are moving into your are shoot them on sight. Another thing to consider is that if you see one there are at least 2 - 100 that you haven't. As with wolves,mentioned above, coyotes will kill any smaller or weaker canine in their territory (fox, dogs, etc) which is where the idea came from to hunt them with circle dogs. Dog makes a wide circle coming back to the hunter, coyote follows to kill the dog. I have a friend that called me last year when she looked out her window to see two coyotes trying to get her snauzers. Luckily for her, her back yard was fenced or "dog gone".
Old 06-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can they kill an adult deer, especially an adult buck. Absolutely, haven't you seen the video on the Drury's show where 2 yotes pushed a trophy buck into a ravine to an awaiting 3rd dog who stopped the buck and the 3 of them ripped open the belly of the buck and killed it within minutes.....

The law of tooth and fang! Are they that bad? It depends on what you determine as bad. Survival of the fittest, the law of tooth and fang, the predator/prey relationship...call it what you want, that's nature. Coyotes hit the fawn populations hard. It's no coincidence that the pups are born at nearly the same time of fawning.....
Old 06-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

I dont mind them. I killed a nice doe one evening that followed a coyote on the same trail not 15 minutes apart.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

Kill 'em all. They kill the first deer they can get to. Especially young ones. (a fawncould be a potential boone and crockett one day but not if its in a 'yotes stomach, never know)
Old 06-15-2006, 11:15 PM

i watched 4 yotes this evening....can't wait to blast em.....
Old 06-15-2006, 11:19 PM

RDHunter, in michigan you can take a coyote with just a small game license from july 15 until april 15. However it is closed in zones 1 and 2 during regular rifle deer season. HOWEVER!!! if you own your own land you can take them at will all year if "they are doing or about to do damage on the private property." I say they are doing damage.If you plan on trapping them on public land the season runs from October 15 to March 1 and im pretty sure you need a fur harvester's license. If anything though they are a greater threat to pheasants, rabbits, and newborn fawns. GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:20 PM

By the way they make for real cool hats!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

Here you can hunt predators during any open hunting season. Unless you own private land and they are causing problems. I wish there was some kind of season open now cause I'd be after some of them.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

The coyote's primary food in the wild , according to numerous studies , is mice .
Yes , they predate fawns , turkey poults , and pretty much anything smaller and slower than they are too . So what ? Cats kill more quail , poults , rabbits , and small game in general than yotes ever will . More deer get taken down by packs of otherwise friendly neighborhood dogs left to run freely by their irresponsible owners than yotes . Owls kill more squirrels than yotes . The list goes on . It's so far proven impossible to wipe out yotes , even with high bounties , few restrictions , and concerted effort . The best we can hope for is to reduce their numbers to where they don't pose a large threat , but they will always be here . If they take up residence on your property seek out their dens in the Spring and take out as many females and pups as you can , the local population will drop accordingly .
Old 06-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

for some of you guys that think coyotes are the demise of your deer herd, how do you then explain a state like TX. where the coyote numbers are probably higher than any other state, BUT they have lots and lots of deer too!!
If coyotes are such a demise, then why have the deer numbers been on the incline to the point that some states allow a deer a day to be taken? Is it that the coyote hasn't gotten to that area yet? How many states have had to lower the number of deer permits do to declining deer numbers?

Quick Reply: are coyotes really...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.