Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Moon vs Full Moon

Old 10-30-2002, 06:42 AM
Spike

Default New Moon vs Full Moon

OK guys, as promised here is a moon phase comparison. This is based upon nearly 500 days of hunting logged into my hunting survey from last year. Read it as you may, but contrary to what I beleived, the percent of hunters seeing either sex of deer at each point in time during the day is greater for a full moon than a new moon. The percentages are based upon the actual number of hunters reporting to have been in the field at each 1/2 hour time interval.

If this interests you at all, please help out with the research at www.thehunterseye.com/sightingsurvey/sightingsurvey.htm
Its free, easy and quick.
Johnnie

Please help with my research at
http://www.thehunterseye.com/sightin...tingsurvey.htm
Old 10-30-2002, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Moon vs Full Moon

That is not quite how it has worked for me. I have noticed after a new moon I see many deer, and more during the noon hours. A full moon (that is a bright one with no clouds)I have found is good for nothing but spot lighting hogs at night.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:35 AM
Spike

Personally, I have seen more deer during mid-day on a full moon. Usually though, I have seen more deer in the morning and afternoon of new moons than full moons. There have been exceptions however.

Johnnie

Old 11-01-2002, 07:37 AM
Spike

I hope with additional input the findings don't change. Also, for those of you that may be going on trips. I have made a printable version that you can take with you. Use it for your own notes or whatever, just please input some data for me. It can be reached at
http://www.thehunterseye.com/Sightin...yprintable.htm

Johnnie

Old 11-01-2002, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

We are in a new moon right now. Im going out all this weekend. Ill post what is going on. Its rainy here right now, so I guess that will need to be factored in as well.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Your graph supports what Kammermeyer found in his 1975 Ph D thesis project on white-tailed deer, what Lewis and Shea found in their 1986 study of sambar deer, in what Halls found on white-tailed deer in 1984, what Kroll and Koerth found in their study of white-tailed deer, and what I found in my 1994 study of white-tailed deer. I will send you the graph. Deer activity is highest during the full moon phase!!!!!

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm going with the biologist, not the theorists.

The Nov. full moon runs from the 17-24. That's when I will be looking for bucks that are looking for remaining unbred does after our rut here in MN (which peaks Nov 7-15).

T.R. Michels
Edited by - trmichels on 11/01/2002 10:43:19

Edited by - trmichels on 11/01/2002 10:49:51
Old 11-05-2002, 07:38 AM
Spike

Hey TR. I'm with you about the theorists. I have never seen anything to prove the accuracy of the "moon guides" That is part of the reason that I started my project.

Thanks to everyone that has helped out so far, and please continue to do so.

Johnnie