Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long should you wait to take a kid?

Old 10-30-2002, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How long should you wait to take a kid?

5 is way to young to give them a highpowerd rifle and let them hunt..thats the age to take them walking in the woods and such...then about 7 take him to start watching hunts...and scouting and such..then depending on the states regs(here u must be 12 and havea saftey course to get a liscense) id say 10-12 depending on how he acts....i didnt kill a deer for about 5 or 6 hunts...then the last day i finnally got a shot and got my first...but before that was turkey and small game hunting...4 yrs later i still havent taken a turkey and learned to enjoy the woods in turkey season!

Old 10-30-2002, 07:08 PM

Default RE: How long should you wait to take a kid?

i started my daughter deer and turkey hunting with me at age 2 we didn't kill much but we had a blast,at age seven i modified a 20 gauge for her and she took her turkey,then that fall i took her out for the youth hunt here in mo.she took down a eight point 130 class whitetail right through the heart.this spring she took out her gobbler and now we are two days from the youth hunt again,she is rattling off the walls with excitement.and you say she to young i say bullcrap i wish i had started her earlier.here in missouri we have no age limit they have to hunt with a certified hunter until the laws says 11 but i will hunting with her a lot longer than that hopefully.