Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ladder stand

Old 04-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ladder stand

bigpapa,
Don't have plans at hand.Lots of stuff on web if you do search.

I agree - Metal stands are great/better in the long term big picture vs wood. I have 2 metal tri-pod stands - I love em. I'm almost the only one who hunts them - cuz there small,tight,hard to get into and the guys are a bunch of whiners - sissys.Shot/Seen alot of deer outa those stands!

You can build one hek of a wooden stand for $150+ -. Look for sales,etc on salt treated lumber.I seal all my wood with 3-4 coats of sealer until it won't take any more!! Wood/ladder stands can be custom built to suit your needs/comfort/size for less than $100-$200+ vs metal stand.

IMO - unless you hunt in a very remote area where Deer seldom smell,see man,wood will work just fine.Use salt treated lumber,screws,bolts,nuts to
assemble.Seal,Stain,Camo Paint and/or let it season early to eliminate scent.

GOOD LUCK no matter what you build!
Old 04-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

AJ52,
I'm glad your still on the topic and I wish these others would stay on the topictoo.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still waiting for pictures of this stand thats the best ever built
Old 04-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Banned

Wood is dangerous as they don't weather well. Get some Rivers edge or cabelas ones for under $100 and be safe and live to hunt another day.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

Woahhhhhfellas don't take this personal but "ya'll don't take it so personal"! lol Man it's all in fun of rib jarin'. You know "Pullin your leg." "Yankin your chain." You get too riled up an' I'll have to take out my paintball gun and put a splat on yer' arse. Ouch! Huntin' is huntin' is huntin' is huntin' as long as your huntin' I could care less about how or where you do it (so long as it's legal). Haven't you ever read between the words of TD "I hope you spend some quality time with friends and family" (or somethin like that)! That's what it's all about. When we rib you it's one way of us southerners complementing you and showing that we feel like your a member of our wonderful tradition filledfamily. Next time your down this way give us a holler and we'll take you out to God's country for some fun and relaxation. NOW if I spoke contrary to what other people on this forum feel with this post they may of course state their own in due fashon. But this is how I feel about it. RESPECT!

On to ladder stands. If I go with pre-made what in yall's opinion is the best out there for around $100. Keep in mind I have to buy 3 of these out of my own pocket sooooo the price does matter. Thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you buy the materials to build a wooden ladder stand, you will have about the same amount of money invested as you would in a metal stand, but if a wooden stand is what you want then go ahead. This topic has been hashed over several times on here over the last 5 or so years, and a couple of people have posted plans for their homemade stands, but it would take some searches to possibly find them. If you go with salt treated lumber remember a couple of things, you need to use stainless screws or nails or special galvanized materials and that salt treated, just like most any wood, will rot at some point. I know a couple of people that fell while climbing "treated wood" stands that rotted on one end of the steps. One of them almost died from a crushed femur. That is the reason I don't like wooden stands..
Old 05-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ya know this just came to me in one of my wonderful bits of actual brain activity.

As far as doing any construction with wood there is that "wood" made of the recycled 2-liter bottles and milk jugs. I think that has like a 50 year warranty or better. If constructed well (design) and good, (probobly stainless steel) hardware...........

Wouldn't rot.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am still looking for TDWW's stand pictures. Someone needs to put up or shut up!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

I'd have to stick with buying the ladders. If you can't find any ladders, there are always other equipment you just need to have to increase experience with hunting a bit more. I can'tleave Cabelas without finding something I truly need.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you for a fact - Deer taste alot better when taken outa a home made wooden stand

All kidding aside I've built some nice safe comfortable wooden ladder stands over the years.It ain't rocket science and it can be done for about $125-$150.Maybe $200+- with roof.

I have 2 12' tripods that cost me about $225 each - both very tight,1 man deal - not very comfee for long hauls! Metal almost maint free but I can build alot better(bigger)with salt treated,SS screws and bolts,chain to tree with turn buckles and ck every year - just good common sense whether wood or metal.

Wood will last you for 8-10 yrs+.Might have to replace the deck or rail after 6-8 yrs. A good safe wooden stand is fun to design build and erect.

Quick Reply: Ladder stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.