Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting proposal

Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: deer hunting proposal

Would this count ?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've seen deer "stands" that were more like heated cabins on stilts. Not a far jump from that to sitting in a car on the edge of a field. And vehicles often don't bother deer in thickly settled areas. My father oncedropped a buck a few minutes after it sniffed the tires on his truck then casually strolled across the field toward his stand.

A few years ago, i went pheasant/rabbit hunting in South Dakota. My friend and I had permission to hunt several tracts of land that were miles apart. After a while we noticed that someone was following us in a truck and sitting about 1/4 a mile away watching us with binoculars wherever we went. It finally dawned on me that the guy was positioning himself sothat any deer we jumped would runtoward his spot on the edge of the road. I was led to believe that such things, and other forms of roadhunting, are legal in that state, but don't know for sure.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: takedownfreak123

Idon't like road hunters at all unless there physicaly challenge. But still they should have to stay in one spot not go driveing around.Watch The next thing will be is you can sit in your truck or what ever after hours with the lights on. The whole point to hunting is being in the woods with nature siting on the groung when its freezeing out.
This topic has gotten silly. This proposal has nothing to do with road hunting. It is basically only proposing allowing a vehicle be used as a blind. What is REALLY wrong with that???
Old 04-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

i don't care if you sit in a vechicle but that is plain stuip. What is the point of hunting roll the windows up sothe animal can't smell you.The whole point of hunting is being out in the woods enjoying nature. I don't see how you can do that when you sitting in a vehicle.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: takedownfreak123

i don't care if you sit in a vechicle but that is plain stuip. What is the point of hunting roll the windows up sothe animal can't smell you.The whole point of hunting is being out in the woods enjoying nature. I don't see how you can do that when you sitting in a vehicle.
I just spent the last 3 hours mowing the roads of my deer lease, and I had a great "nature experience". I sat in my cab tractor with the A/C on cold and favoritetunes on the radio. I can't think of a better way to enjoy nature-- COMFORTABLY. I even saw 9 deer as I mowed. As I said before, this topic has gotten silly, and I have contributed to the nonsense in responding to this post.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

" Think before you make a post like that again, you never know who is reading it.[:@] "
To be honest with you I don't really care who reads this. If there is a medical reason with the proper permits I don't have a problem with people hunting from their vehicle. Now to look at the other side of the coin do you really think that some won't take a shot as they're driving in or out. Guess what, THAT IS ROAD HUNTING! Oh and by the way It is ILLEGAL to road hunt whether your handicapped or not.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:27 AM

I believe in Texas you can shoot from a vehicle on private property. Should be someone here from Texas who knows the answer.

Additionally it makes a big difference in shooting animals on the big ranches. When I visit a friends ranch in Texas we can ride in one of the ranch trucks and the deer don't seem bothered. We can go out the next day in my truck and the deer are moving out as soon as they see and hear my truck.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Smokey in PHX

I believe in Texas you can shoot from a vehicle on private property. Should be someone here from Texas who knows the answer.
Road hunting in Texas is just what the name implies. It is hunting/shooting from a PUBLIC road.In 1997, I killed one of the biggest deer off my truck in my parents driveway while getting my gear ready to go to my stand.Do I make a practice of this? NO! Did I break any laws? NOPE! Would I do it again? HECK YES!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

if i'm not mistaken.. my first deer was the only deer that i havent taken from a pick-up. I use my pick-up for a blind all the time. however, i do not drive around looking for deer, i go toa spot and wait.

my daughter took her 1st deer this past season... out the passenger window of our pick-up.

i can't afford them blinds, and i don't like freezing while i'm sitting on the ground. so i'll continue to use my truck.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is common practice in Texas to hunt from a vehicle. While I don't usually shoot deer, I hunt from a vehicle all the time. The deer aren't alarmed in the least. They get used to me driving around like they get used to other people sitting in a stand. Same goes for a tractor.

If it is private property, I don't think it is anybody's business except the property owner's how the land is hunted.

Quick Reply: deer hunting proposal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.