Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Defense against 2 legged vermin
4.59%
Defense against 4 legged vermin
8.26%
Dispatch wounded game
7.34%
Take small game (coyote, grouse, squirrle, etc)
6.42%
Back up (if legal) to rifle
6.42%
All of the above
32.11%
Don't know why, just do
0.92%
Don't carry a side arm while hunting
33.94%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Why do you carry a side arm while hunting?

Old 04-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why do you carry a side arm while hunting?

I just need to use my fists and a pair of steel toe boots!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't even own one and probably never will. I have plenty of rifles, shotguns and bows but never got into shooting a pistol. I am a deer tracker and extra weight is a real bad move especially at the end of the day when you are trying to hike back to the truck and it can be miles away. Even my deer rifles are all light weight.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing really to be afraid of here in PA. When I'm out hunting, I'm pretty sure I'm the most dangerous living thing around. I guess you could get nipped by a snake, but a pistol won't help you there, b/c the damageis already done...

I'm just not a pistol guy. If I lived around wolves/grizzly/cougars, I'd change my ways. In PA, there's nothing to be afraid of except for maybe a mean dog or an angrycoon. I can take care of those situations without firing a round. People/trespassers really don't scare me.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:39 AM

I'm surrounded by wolves, grizzlies, and cougars, and I can tell you now I'd much rather have a defender shotgun or my hunting rifle by my side. The only time you have to worry about the bears, other than in camp, is when you're sneaking through the timber, and most guys I know carry their rifles in their hands rather than on their shoulders for than anyways. I have seriously considered buying a defender shotgun or a snub nosed .44 for hiking around in the mountains out of hunting season, though. That is a whole different story, because we all know pepper spray only works part of the time, and its not going to even phase a bear that really wants you. Case in point, a guy here went through two cans on a bear either last year or the year before, and the bear only left after the guy's buddy showed up to help him ward the bear away. Some of my cousins have little kids, so it would be good to carry a weapon while I'm fishing with them in the mountains for mountain lions too.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:56 AM

I carry a light weight 38 revolver. Every now and then you need a finishing shot and I'd rather use a hand gun. There are times bringing a deer home and the general public might see the animal. Just think it looks a lot better with a small finishing hole in the animal then half the head blown away.

We have enough bad PR from the non-hunting public.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

The primary reason I carry one is to kill deer. The last few years a T/C Contender with 30-30 barrel has taken me a few nice deer.
Although, this year I will carry it as a backup to my new Switcback XT. If they won't come any closer than 35 yards my T/C will bring them within range.

By the way, we can hunt here from Aug 15 to Jan 1 with any weapon.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:39 PM

I've got a handgun on me most of the time. Hunting is no different.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really try to keep the weight down so I don't carry my sidearm often while hunting, however when fishing I always have my 357 with the first two cylinders holding snake shot. The rest are 180 gr hp's.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I don't and would only consider it if I was hunting in heavy grizzly country.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:23 PM

i only use mine when trailin deer in thick cover or when im hog huntin .

Quick Reply: Why do you carry a side arm while hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.