Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm rem magnum

Old 02-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7mm rem magnum

Not required for deer but certainly will do the trick. I really like my 7mmremmag it has done a super job on deer sized and up.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:12 AM

For my needs hunting deer and hogs, it is the perfect weapon. The only downside, and it's not much of one, is that a 150 grain round is going so fast that it will pass right through an animal and not open up much, if at all,at close range. This is not much of a problem becauseat close range you are muchmore likely tohit the exact spot you are aiming for.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

My first rifle I bought was a Savage 110E in 7mm Mag. and I still use it, 19 years later. I handload all of my hunting ammo for it and that can give a person a bunch of flexibility as far as bullet weights and velocities are concerned. Deer are not thick skinned and are easy to kill. With that being said, for short ranges the 7mm Mag. is a bit much, but for long ranges I like it a lot. Here in VA, most of my shooting is done at less than 75 yards, way less! If you don't handload, the 7mm Mag can be close to $1 per round fired and there are more affordable calibers if you are on a budget.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Deerhunter06, i agree with alot of the post here already. You cant kill a deer to dead. 7mm is enough gun to hunt whitetails anywhere in the world But?? I like a 30cal. I am an outfitter from Saskatchewan where it is common for the deer to weigh in the 300# range and have a thick winter hide on them. Most of my clients will bring a 30 cal 300win,300wby,300ulta,30-06,308 ect, this is what i recommend for hunting here. Between our two camps we take approx 65 deer hunters and 25 elk hunters a year for the past nine years. Many hunters have brought 7mm and i have to say that out of all the cals i listed above it is the least effective on these big bodied deer, with the exception of the stw. We have tracked many woundeddeer shot with a 7mm REM.This is just what ive found and is just my 2cents, maybee thats all its worth. If i was buying a new rifle right now i would buy the 300 ultra it is a long range hunting rifle that will effectivly kill any animal in North America if you are stuck on the 7mm buy the stw.Again, just my$0.02
Old 03-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

You cant kill a deer to dead. 7mm is enough gun to hunt whitetails anywhere in the world But?? I like a 30cal. I am an outfitter from Saskatchewan where it is common for the deer to weigh in the 300# range and have a thick winter hide on them. Most of my clients will bring a 30 cal 300win,300wby,300ulta,30-06,308 ect, this is what i recommend for hunting here. Between our two camps we take approx 65 deer hunters and 25 elk hunters a year for the past nine years. Many hunters have brought 7mm and i have to say that out of all the cals i listed above it is the least effective on these big bodied deer, with the exception of the stw. We have tracked many woundeddeer shot with a 7mm REM.
I have a hard time swallowing this Todd, seeing I hail from the same location and have used a 7mm rem mag to harvest those very same big bodied whitetail not to mention numerous other game animals such as mule deer, elk and moose. I have yet to experience this of which you speak. I have never lost an animal with the 7mm rem mag and I certainly haven't had to track many far. The key with any cartridge is bullet, no your abilities and put it where it counts. Maybe the happenings on your ranch reside with the shooter vs the cartridge...??

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 03-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Many hunters have brought 7mm and i have to say that out of all the cals i listed above it is the least effective on these big bodied deer, with the exception of the stw. We have tracked many woundeddeer shot with a 7mm REM.
If you can't cleanly kill deer with the 7mm rem mag,you need more shooting practise,not a larger caliber.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've helped trail a number of deer that were shot with a 7mm and 300 short that were never recovered, and I've helped a number of deer that were stone dead in their tracks shot with a .243. You have got to hit them in the right place no matter what you shoot.....
Old 03-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Typical Buck

fak no I have one and its a hammburger maker for up to 300+
Old 03-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

For my needs hunting deer and hogs, it is the perfect weapon. The only downside, and it's not much of one, is that a 150 grain round is going so fast that it will pass right through an animal and not open up much
And I thought that this foolish myth had finally died.The fact is that the faster that a bullet is travelling,the more that it expands.The greatest fear of too much velocity is overexpanding and fragmentation.Reducing the velocity results in less expansion.