Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My dog is no woods dog

Old 02-10-2006, 09:10 PM

Default RE: My dog is no woods dog

I have a Chocolate lab and when it smells or sees a deer it try's to sneak up on it. Did take him out shed hunting, jumped right over a shed.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

My german shepard (DEA) is the big baby, thats scrared of bikes. I've been trying to take her out in the woods more. She likes it a lot. She still has a fear of deep water though. My goal is to teach her to finds sheds. An article I read earlier this month said his best shed dog was hispitbull. It can be done. I think I can teach her to bird hunt. She's always out in front sniffing the ground running back and forth. She's followed some bird scents beforre through the brush. So maybe?

Old 02-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

my lab couldnt hurt a flea that was biting him yet he must be fearless he was stuck by a big 8pt in my yard in the back leg but he is fine and he still does a good job of running the deer out of the yard that i plan to hunt the next day[&:]but he is my compadre along with his choco gf
Old 02-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

My dog loves the woods. She loves looking for mice, moles, chipmunks, etc. I've broken her of running deer, she sure does love them when I bring one home though.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice dog, looks like a very curious dog!
Old 02-11-2006, 09:29 PM

I would say it is very possible for a pitbull to be a good shed finder. I know mine is always sniffing around and getting into stuff its not supposed to. One of mine finds stuff by sound. You can take a wrist watch and set the alarm to go off and hide it somewhere in the house and she will search for the sound till she finds it the she will stand there and whine.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

We got a German Shepard, Shep, who runs and hides when you bring out the camera, bless his sole, he loves the kids, one time during his meal time, my youngest jumped off the couch and landed right on top of him, he just got up and moved to the other side of the bowl. Healsofollows my wife around like it's her shadow. I tease her alot, if she ever left, I'd get shep and he'd find her!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

No kidding. Thats pretty wild. Never thought of Rot's being water dogs. But I bet she didn't like 38 degree water.
Yeah, the only thing was that when she got the birds back to the bank, she thought they were her's. She didn't like to give them up. She loved the water. On hot summer days she wade out until the water touched her stomach, then she would lay down. All you could really see is her back and her head.

I want another dog, but right now, I promised myself I wouldn't get one until I moved into a house with a better yard.

Rottweilers are very good dogs. Like PitBulls, they just get bad publicity and are very dangerous when in the wrong hands. Espically the bigger American bred Rottie's.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my beagles for shed hunting in the spring.