Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My dog is no woods dog

Old 02-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My dog is no woods dog

My pass dogs were good at finding anything dead and boney.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I imagine you could find a shed hunting dawg on Ebay

dd

Old 02-10-2006, 07:45 AM
bigcountry

Stut, pretty awesome dog. 11years is good long while for a rotti.

I guess it boils down to the work you put into dogs. There ain't no free lunch. I know people with birddogs that they never had to teach anything. They would bow shoot a deer. And can't find it, get the dog, and he would be on it in no time. does anyone know of any good dog training books on blood trackign dogs? I would like to use him for finding wounded deer. I had a few mags several years back that discussed it.

Here they are. I call em manic depressant. Manic is the nutjob on the right that won't settle but has amazing smell. The one on the left is old and grumpy and does a good job at protecting a house or anything else.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:16 AM

You can buy scents that smell like animals. Like deer scent and duck scent. They have more also. I am not talking about like deer urine. They are scents made for training a dog. I know that BassPro has them and Cabelas might.

Pretty dogs. One of my old friends has/had some Dobi's. Two of them, they locked up in the kennel outside NO MATTER WHO came over. That way they wouldn't get used to strangers. The other, was the older one and they let her out with everyone else.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:20 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot. If you look at that pic of her on my truck, thats a bag full of mallard decoys besider her. I also used her to fetch my ducks. People thought I was crazy when they seen me in the swamp with a Rottweiler.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:45 AM
bigcountry

No kidding. Thats pretty wild. Never thought of Rot's being water dogs. But I bet she didn't like 38 degree water.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS

ORIGINAL: 3Ddepression

StrutnBPS
I dont know what to tell you. You just grief on and let time pass.
By the looks of her and your description, it sounds like you gave her a good life.
Yeah, thats what both vets told us. To be a Rottweiler, 11 years is getting way up there. She got a better life than some children and better than 95% of any dogs. She was the queen of the house.

The one thing that I was "pleased" about is that she chose to leave on her on. We didn't have to make the decision. She died in her sleep.

I didn't mean to jack this post. I just love dogs and wanted to share my memories.
I feel for you strut. I had a couple of Dalmatians and one died 2 years ago and the other died this last summer. Both made it to 13 and were part of the family. I went 6 months without a dog and still get choked up when I think of those boys. I was feeling like I really needed a dog and then it just happened. My daughter went to NOLA for humanitarian pet rescue due to Katrina. The vets brought back some pretty sick and abandoned dogs. When I returned from my Newfoundland hunton the first of NovI had a new addition. Her name is Fanny Mae and she is truly a wonder dog. She is a black and white mutt and is as smart as all heck. She was 6 months old when we got her and she fit right in. I think she is the best dog I have ever seen. I hope your day will come when you are complete with another dog. Good luck.....CI

Old 02-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

my hunting partner is a Shid Zu he is the best in a ground blind and
never scares deer,turkey,anything.lives to ride our honda great pal!
Sorry for your loss,great looking dog!

Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

my best friend finds most of his shed by his dogs but it died so now he is training a new one the best thing to do is to find a fresh shed and train him with it in teh yard and every time that he brings the shed to you he gets a treat and then carry treats in the woods so you dont cheat him out of some
Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 PM

Here is my shed hunting partner, Sandy. She really enjoys going out in the woods and seeing where her nose takes her. Sandy hasn't found me a shed but she does keep me company.

Quick Reply: My dog is no woods dog

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.