Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bathroom in the field???

Old 02-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bathroom in the field???

Ive read things contrarry to some of the points posted here.. I have read that its NOT a good idea to use Red Fox pee as a type of cover scent because a mature buck will recognise it as being a preditor and will exit the area ...Ive read where a mature buck can recognise human urine vs animal urine due to the difference in diet .... but heck who really knows ..I suppose you have to learn by experience like the rest of us ...

dd
Old 02-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have urinated in scrapes as well, but when I went bear hunting in Maine a few years ago the outfitter asked me to take a milk jug and I put it on a rope to lower it to the ground and raise when needed....
Old 02-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Let it fly , when it begins to break down it will actually attract the attention of passing deer just like their own does . Don't worry about leaving a log pile either , I've seen deer walk up to one of mine and sniff it out of curiosity . [:'(]
Old 02-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

when i gotta go i gotta go, i wont wait. i always have plenty of toilet paper with me too.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:58 AM

i usually go if i can't hold it any longer .....the only thing i have heard that the deer will detect is medication in your pee....not sure if that one is true but take it for what it's worth.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at it this way. Sometimes when you whizz in the toilet at home or wherever - it doesn't seem to smell at all, right? Then, othertimes you take a whizz and WHEW! what's that smell. Ya know the deep smell of like soggy Cherios! The difference is in our diet. Kinda what goes in - comes out, right?

So I think with that in mind, we can all agree that our urine varies quite a bit.

A deer's, or any other animal's for that matter, urine will remain constant as it's diet really cannot vary much. They can't have a burger, or a taco or order pizza or hotdogs, etc. Their diets don't have preservatives, sweeteners, etc...

When they get a whiff or your pee, they are gonna know one thing. It don't belong in the animal's deep woods. As skittish as deer are, I would always err on the side of caution.

I will pee in a bottle everytime given the chance.

I am a bit particular about the plastic bottles I bring hunting. I want a very large plastic bottle that is quite firm as the cheap thin plastic ones always make cracking noises at the slightest touch and I don't want to be making unusual noises in the field.

Now for #2. Coffee can with a lid. Put your TP inside and it'll stay nice and dry til needed.

TP - never go afield without it!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

unzip and let'r rip
Old 02-05-2006, 11:32 AM

During gun season I usually pee right off the stand and when I need to do a number 2, I walk to the same place every season and drop some brown.

Bow season is a bit different. Pee in a bottle.Dig a hole, dropnumber 2 and mask with Fresh Earth Scent.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

I look at it this way... I use everything I can to get that big buck... I wear carbon activated clothing... Scout all year... Use cover scents... Wear leafy camo if I am too visible... Wear rubber not leather boots (because leather picks up more scent).... Dress warm enough so I can basically stay out all day... Use grunt calls/rattle... Watch for scrapes... and the list goes on... Basically I exhaust myself to be very careful not to do ANYTHING that might spook that big buck.

Having said that do I think taking a leak near my stand will affect my deer hunting... PROBABLY not... But do I take the chance... Nope, I will not urinate near my stand... Maybe I am supersticous!
Old 02-05-2006, 12:20 PM

Since I don't practice scent control..I do as the wild bears do. I hunt way too far from truck in too hot of a climate to worry about scent. I'm soaked in sweat when I get where I go..no matter if it's 100 or 30 degree's...I have to haul it to get there before daylight and that means sweat. So..the only deer I'm going to see are up wind.

Quick Reply: Bathroom in the field???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.