Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

who all reloads?

Old 02-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: who all reloads?

it might take 15 years to recoup your money.
Very true but not very long to reap the rewards of the investment. Accuracy and custom loads for the rifle/application are huge payoffs to reloading.The way technology in bullets has evolved it opens up a lot more choicefor hunters,advantage reloader. Not to mention it forces you to shoot more, which IMHO is never a bad thing!!!!!

Old 02-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the input, I was out this last week sighting in my 22-250 that I just installed a new scope on. after sight in I tested some factory rem. loads, against some hand loads that a friend loaded for me some years back. I was shooting bullet holes with the factory ammo at 100 yards, and 1 inch groups with the handloads at 100yds. I then shot 150 yards and with both, and both shot around 2 inch groups. both rounds were 55 grain. I didn't really see any differance in accuracy, but that may be just be the flat shooting gun it is.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not have the patience to re-load but I would like to find someone who KNOWS what their doing so I could get some special 270's from ...

dd
Old 02-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Shotgun shells only at this time.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't really see any differance in accuracy, but that may be just be the flat shooting gun it is.
It may just be the reloaderj/k. Was it developed for your gun specifically?

While it happens where a factory is as accurate or even more than reloaded shell, their is a process that needs to be followed to determine optimium accuracy for each gun/load combo. Possibly switching a component,etcwould get you same hole accuracy plus increases elsewhere like velocity. Don't know but certainly wouldn't base it on a single outing, my first reloads were pathetic but before the season rolled aroun I was pleased with what I had to work with...takes time like any other hobby.

Underlying reason for me toreloadis hunting! I am looking for the best bullet for the hunting situation I will face and then getting the paper results that brings me confidence in the field.I don't have to comprimise one area if the ammo I choose doesn't produce the results I wish, less limiting really.Many times I have obtaining acceptable hunting groups with OTC ammo but improved on accuracy and velocity with a handloaded version...so IMHO well worth the effort.

I enjoy preping for a hunt this includes reloading or developing loads. I never was much for punching paper but now find it fun to see what myloads will do. So it both makes me hit the range more and gratifing to see or find results.

However you have to deciede if its worth it.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:57 AM

I dont do it as much anymore, since my time is more expensive now, but I really like it. It can save money, but often the savings are all spent at the shooting range. At benchrest shooting, rather than in field positions. It sounds to me that your calibers are a little unusual andsuch are oftenwhere the savings are the greatest. It really doesnt take an expensive set to get started.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I started reloading about 1976. I have dies for about everything. This said, I don't load much any more. This because factory ammo has really improved and many use the best premium bullets available. Its hard to impove on factory ammo anymore and compared to everything else, the price of ammo has stayed pretty reasonable. If I still shot competition and fired several hundred rounds a week like I used to, I would have to reload again. Since trying the Federal fusion loads, I will most likely never load another shell for hunting. I never use reloads for carry guns either.

While silhouette shooting, I shot and reloaded at least 500 rounds per week in the 45 and 308. I sort of got burned out on reloading.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for all the input guys! I wanted info from mostly hunters and not the die hard reloaders, not that their bad, just thought they would all tend to lean towards reloading than factory rounds. thats why I posted here. I think I'll just stick to factory loads for now. I'll keep my eye's open for any good deals on reloading equip. and if I find one, I'll buy it, but for now, factory is all I need. Thanks again for all your time and input! Scott
Old 02-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

For the answer to your question, "Who all reloads?" I would think it would be answered best by going to the reloading forum.
just what i would say
Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been reloading for 6 or 7 years now, got a late start. I reload for the .30-06, 7mm Rem mag, .300 Wby, .243 Win and 7.65 x 53 Belgian Mauser. I'll be adding a .300 Win Mag to that list this year. I wouldn't consider going back to shooting factory ammo, though there's really nothing wrong with it. There's just an extra bit of satisfaction you get when you kill a deer with ammo you loaded yourself.

Quick Reply: who all reloads?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.