Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad hunting experiences

Old 02-03-2006, 12:15 PM

Default RE: Bad hunting experiences

lol, those are some funny stories. I know of a similar one to the one about crapping on the call. Make a long story short, my buddies dad had a similar experience on time at hunting camp. He had a orange blaze monkey suit on (a one peice overalls sort of deal with a hood attached). Well, basically he took a crap,thought his hood was out of the way, but, as you already probably guessed, his hood was directly under him. Well, lol, he finished up, threw his hood over his head and started to walk to the other side of camp - well, he got to about the first foot in the camp door and BOOOOOMMMMMM the smell hit everyone there (about 10 hunting buddies). lollll, so he took off his hood and realized that he had make-SHIfT cover scent. his hairsmelt like...well....take a guesss......
Old 02-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

NY.....great story. If you give such detail while typing, I'll bet you tell a story great in person. I laughed outloud. My buddy while pheasant hunting with me had a good one happen. He had to go, and couldn't make it the 150 yards back to the truck for some napkins. Then IT HIT. So, he did his business and while crouching in the weeds didn't know what to use to wipe. So, he took out a knife and cut up his underwear. He had to "go commando"(without underwear) the rest of the hunt. We still laugh about that one.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Site Buck Guru

My worst hunting experience came during my second hunting season in 1969. My Dad only took me huntingat the start of the late season for my first two seasons. It was always the first Sat. of December. The year before I got my first deer, a 6 point buck, I was hooked for life. The second year, my Dad took me to the same place and I sat in the exact same spot. A half an hour after daylight, another 6 pointer came by and I shot it. My Dad and I trailed it for about 100 yards and saw it laying across a canal, where it had broke through the ice, climbed the bank and died. While we were trying to figure out how to cross the canal, a so called hunter came along and tagged my deer and started field dressing it! This guy didn't even have any arrows left. My Dad says, " Hey!, that's my son's deer" and the guy says" finders keepers, it's mine now" and proceeds to drag it off! By the time we walked to a bridge and got around to where the deer was, the guy was gone. I was 13 years old and could not understand why anyone would want to take a deer that they didn't shoot. I still don't understand this. But it was a learning experience for me. BTW, back then I had not seen a compound bow yet. Everybody was using recurves.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't top that story but the worst morning of hunting for me was one Muzzle loader hunt. It was the last or next to last day of seaso. It was 15 below zero when I headed out that morning.

Our muzzle loader season is doe only. About half way down to the bottom of one of my draws there was a Hugh Mulie doe probably 250 lbs or a little better. I made a good shot and down she went. I just had my 2 wheel drive pick-up and about 300 feet of rope. After pulling up as close as I thought I dared, I tied on the rope and took my knife and went down to field dress the critter. Buy this time, the wind had kicked up pretty good and after field dressing the deer, my hand were numb and half frozen. I then found that my rope was about 30 feet to short and I had to try to drag her to the end of the rope. There was snow and ice on the ground and it was so steep that I couldn't drag her so I cut off a piece of the rope so I could crawl up a ways then pull her up to me. It took 40 minutes or so to get her up far enough to tie the rope on. I held on to the rope to help me walk back up the hill. When I got to the top I found out I had pulled just a hair to far down over the edge and with the weight of the deer, I just set there and spun the tires. I had a pair of tire chains so I crawled around in the snow and finally got them on. By now my hands are about usless. I got her pulled up to the top but just as I got there, one of the chains slipped off and wraped around the axle about three times. I had a hell of a time getting it untangled. I then loaded the deer and headed back to town. On the way I couldn't help thinking " AND I DO THIS FOR FUN"
Old 02-03-2006, 08:46 PM

Thats funny Ive went commando to. I hate crapping in the woods. They need to make a light hunter friendly toilet with a magazine pouch and toilet paper holder. Aaaaaa all the comforts of home. I have actually had to go commando for the simple fact hey I didn't get my clothes off fast enough. OOOO the stories I could tell but probably shouldn't. Remember if you left those undies in the woods you littered LOL.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:33 PM

I do not know what is so uncomforatble with taking a squat in the woods. I enjoy it so much i dont crap that morning until i get in the woods! It is my ritual that i do everytime im hunting.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Spike

My worst story is one of true embarassment and i was disgusted with my self for weeks and still feel bad about it today.3 years ago i was hunting on our 40 acre prop. and it was getting to be about 5:00 with shooting time ending about 7. hadnt seen a deer all day and then while i was laying in my bunk.(one of the comforts of having a 6'x8'x6 blind) i noticed a small six point wander out of the swamp at about 150 yards. this being my first hunt i decided i would take the deer. I took aim with my .30-.06 and let one rip down the hill the deer didnt even flinch it just looked up at me and sort of "jogged" down to the pond in front and dissapeared into the grass. doing as i was always taught by my father i went to look for sign just incase. i searched in a 50 yard radius of where the deer had been. nothing no hair no blood nothing so i figured buck fever...so with an hour still left to hunt i got back in my blind and waited...just about dark another buck strolled out with 6 does, this one not as nice as the other but still good for a 15 year old kid and his first deer. so again took aim but this buck was a good 200 yards so i made sure i had my emotions under control, trying to remember all the sniper tatics i had learned from all my readin and watching snipers shows. slowly squeezed the trigger and let another fly. this buck didnt even pick his head up he dropped right in his tracks. so i went home to get my dad and the truck. when i got back i walked out next to the pond and heard some rustling and thought nothing of maybe a beaver or something. we gutted my deer took some pics and left. the next mornin we went back down the hill to retrieve my uncles buck and i noticed some matted down grass. there was the buck from last night laying in the swampy mud and water. we tried to salvage some meat but it was all ruined by the swamp. idk y that buck took off my shot was dead on right through the kill zone taking out his heart and lungs. i felt real bad for the waste and my inablility to find him only 20 yardsfrom where i had searched the nigh before.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seen one of the biggest bucks of my life with my pants around my ankles. He came over the edge of a hill stopped and just looked me. He finally snorted and ran off. Kind ofbrings a new meaning to the word "turtle head"when you get that pain 20ft up ina climber.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I think a couple of you fellas need to really work on your "aim".

NY - you gave me the dry heaves just reading about it. GAG!

I would say the worst I've had it afield was a good number of years ago I was shotgun deer hunting and there was some snow on the ground and it was COLD. I was sitting along a fenceline in some light brush and I was feeling the cold. So I had my shotgun across my lap, muzzle pointed left. My face was just so cold. Moving slowly,I took my hat and put it over my face and let my breathing warm my face every now and then. I absolutely love hunting in the snow so I wasn't gonna let the cold send me to the truck.

Well I'm warming my face and I hear a little something to my right. I slowly pull the hat from my face and look to the right. Wouldn't ya know it. A giant buck had jumped the fenceline into the corner. Seems he had me fully eyeballed. It was a staring contest for about 5 minutes. As soon as he seemed to look away I tried to gently swing the muzzle around for an awkward shot to the right (I'm a righty). He denied me. Jumped over the fenceline and ran down into the creek area.

I heard a shot about 5 minutes later. The preacher who hunts the neighboring property was giving his thanks to the Lord.