Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Focus on the big picture!

Old 02-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Focus on the big picture!

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter
JagMan-
by your philosophy you would support and accept the Jimmy Houston video?
NYBH, I don't recall seeing the video in question.
But if its what I'm thinking it is,NO I DO NOT support that type of hunting!
I am saying that MOST legal types of hunting should at least have some support from the overall hunting community!
My main EXCEPTIONS, would be remote controlled, internet hunting. Which, I think is illegal everywhere!
Oneother exception that I can think ofwould be "small feeder pens," they may be legal, but I wouldn't call it hunting at all!
Old 02-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

We need to stick together as hunters I agree, myself I was disgusted with the video and would never participate inanything like that. If someone wants to pay tons of money, film it and sell it to the hunting community as the real thing that needs to be exposed. If that is someones idea of a trophy hunt I guess I feel very sorry for that person and his loss of what hunting is about. We as a group need to write to shows and celebrities and let them know how little we appreciate hunts that are not fair chase. We are trying to entice young hunters into the woods with the thought of a "booner" behind every tree. I sometimes wonder what happens to some of these kids that shoot a real wallhanger during youth seasons, how do you out do some of these beauties taken during the rest of your life when you are faced with the realities of true hunting. I know that being a bow hunter has made me a better deer hunter during firearm season and also helped to appreciate the animal much better,
Old 02-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Well Ill' step out on a limb and get bashed. Just because something is legal DOES NOT mean that it is ethical!! (for me, being a responsible and ethical person by far outways being a legal person) I feel that shooting tame deer in a pen, which is legal almost everywhere by means of hunting preserves, is a travesty. That in NO way is hunting, maybe one could call it "harvesting" or more simply put "killing", but certainly not hunting. Just because some lazy, rich bleepedy-bleep wants to impress his cronies with his master hunting skill and in turn increase revenue and tax money flow(which is a flourishing business) does not make it right or acceptable. I will NEVER agree with it. Also, as far as the anti's go, I don't see them ever dismissing our rights to hunt deer. There are simply too many deer an too much money generated from hunters. Deer have to be hunted to be controlled from overpopulation, starvation, and disease. I get so sick of hearing how we as hunters cannot express our opinions( especially in a HUNTING forum) because some whack-job anti will use it against us
Old 02-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

PJ, ethics is a hard thing to define! Not just in hunting, but life in general!
Ethics sometimes goes BEYOND the "LAW!" Sometimes ethics may even go AGAINST the "LAW!"
I AM NOT suggesting that "we," as a "hunting family," should embrace, and defend EVERYTHING that is legal!
I do suggest that we be more tolerant of, and more supportive of,most types of hunting, that areLEGAL, and TRADITIONAL, from region, to region!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

AMEN my Texas Longhorn National Championship brother ..well said !!

dd
Old 02-01-2006, 08:08 PM

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: pjhunts

. Also, as far as the anti's go, I don't see them ever dismissing our rights to hunt deer. There are simply too many deer an too much money generated from hunters. Deer have to be hunted to be controlled from overpopulation, starvation, and disease. I get so sick of hearing how we as hunters cannot express our opinions( especially in a HUNTING forum) because some whack-job anti will use it against us

Amen to that! Why do people worry so much about antis? It seems all we hear when a debate comes up "Shhhhhh... the antis might hear..." I personally don't care what the antis think. Do you honestly think that they care as much as it sounds what is said here? Even if they do what are they going to do about it? Stop us from hunting? Not in my life time.

First it seems that all legal stuff should be talked about and supported but now it is only stuff that we can tolerate.
[/blockquote]
Old 02-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Spiffy
Amen to that! Why do people worry so much about antis? It seems all we hear when a debate comes up "Shhhhhh... the antis might hear..." I personally don't care what the antis think. Do you honestly think that they care as much as it sounds what is said here? Even if they do what are they going to do about it? Stop us from hunting? Not in my life time.

First it seems that all legal stuff should be talked about and supported but now it is only stuff that we can tolerate.
Spiffy, all I am asking is that we as "hunters" stand together, in support of MOST legal forms of hunting!

I do not care what the Anti's think either!
However DO NOT kid yourself that "hunting" does not have enemies! WE DO HAVE ENEMIES! (IT should NOT be each other though!)
Some people here have even been called "outlaws"for LEGAL hunting! If ever hunting is outlawed, we willALL truelybe "outlaws," if we continue hunting!
I see that you are from Canada, so you should KNOW that guns, and hunting CAN be outlawed!
IF we as hunters, and gun owners stand together, we never will have to be "outlaws," for being hunters, and gun owners!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

my Texas Longhorn National Championship brother

Have fun and enjoy saying that this year.It will be another 20+ yearsbefore you can say it again [:-][8D].

Also, as far as the anti's go, I don't see them ever dismissing our rights to hunt deer. There are simply too many deer an too much money generated from hunters. Deer have to be hunted to be controlled from overpopulation, starvation, and disease. I get so sick of hearing how we as hunters cannot express our opinions( especially in a HUNTING forum) because some whack-job anti will use it against us
Thank you for saying this. I am beyond sick of hearing "watch out the antis will get us".[:-] BS ......screw them sick little warped freaks. I'm sure in 30 years myself, my kids, and my grandkids (ewww that's a scary thought) will be hunting the same way I'm hunting today. I dont' think that's a naive statement either. Hunting is going noplace. I do agree with supporting eachother and sticking together as a family, but not hardly for the defense against antis. JMO.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:08 AM

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Spiffy, all I am asking is that we as "hunters" stand together, in support of MOST legal forms of hunting!

I do not care what the Anti's think either!
However DO NOT kid yourself that "hunting" does not have enemies! WE DO HAVE ENEMIES! (IT should NOT be each other though!)
Some people here have even been called "outlaws"for LEGAL hunting! If ever hunting is outlawed, we willALL truelybe "outlaws," if we continue hunting!
I see that you are from Canada, so you should KNOW that guns, and hunting CAN be outlawed!
IF we as hunters, and gun owners stand together, we never will have to be "outlaws," for being hunters, and gun owners!
I agree with you. I just will not keep looking over my shoulder when discussing hunting issues. Your "IF" we contine you hunting should be a "when" we continue hunting.To me we are standing together. Some members have thousands of posts most discussing our great life style.We may debait things and of course we always don't agree with each other but "thebig picture" is that99.9% of us love hunting and are going to do it until we die, regardless of what is said and what happens.

Forever, and ever, amen.
[/blockquote]
Old 02-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Spiffy
I agree with you. I just will not keep looking over my shoulder when discussing hunting issues. Your "IF" we contine you hunting should be a "when" we continue hunting.To me we are standing together. Some members have thousands of posts most discussing our great life style.We may debait things and of course we always don't agree with each other but "thebig picture" is that99.9% of us love hunting and are going to do it until we die, regardless of what is said and what happens.

Forever, and ever, amen.
Thanks Spiffy, thats just the point I'm trying to make!
I don't want us to be paranoid over the Anti Hunters, or the Anti Gunners (they are mostly the same crowd anyway)
If we are just careful to stand together, as legal hunters, our great-great-great grandchildren will still be hunting, and owning guns LEGALLY!

Quick Reply: Focus on the big picture!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.