Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do you draw the line??

Old 01-31-2006, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Where do you draw the line??

As some of you know I have hunted Canada a couple of times. I had always wanted to hunt in a place that had mutliple species of big game. I did use an outfitter and a guide because it is required in Canada if your not a citizan plus when your on only a 6 day hunting trip itmakes ittuff to scout an area you have never been in ..put up stands and have a decent chance of seeing a shooter buck. You just can not put a price on the total experience when you see the beauty of a country you have never been in ..see game in the wild that you would never see from where Im from ... I did want to make it as challaging as I could with a rifle so I hunted with a Thompson Encore 7mm08 ... I had thought about taking a muzzleloader but found it was a hassle because you can not take black powder on the airlines ... but I will never forget the experiences I had and the people I met ... I see nothing wrong with these kind of hunts.

dd
Old 01-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Greg H.
Sounds like the only thing that brings you satisfaction withhunting is killing something withbig horns. That's a shame IMO. The sport is heading more and more that way and farther away from the pure essence of hunting.

I think your blanket statement that "everyone is after big racks" couldn't be farther from the truth. There's a lot more that drives me and others to hunt than chasing the biggest buck in the county. If that ever becomes the sole purpose for me, I'll hang it up. I get as much enjoyment out of shooting a doe as I do a 150" buck. My heart beats just as hard watching a small buck go by my stand as it does when I'm about ready to release an arrow at a mature buck.

Obviously if a big buck was standing in front of any hunter they would shoot it. That's a moot point. If I ever get to the point where my only enjoyment from hunting is whether I get a certain class buck or not then I'll quit.
Hey NY, obviously youdidn't read my post close enough. Otherwise you wouldn't have misquoted me so badly. I shoot almost as many does as I do bucks ( see my first post ) I also said that I love hunting whitetail deer, not just big bucks. I do enjoy hunting for big bucks although I never mentioned how big or what class. I just said that they were generally more warry and harder to hunt. I take mature bucks consistantly so I think that I'm getting closser to the pure essence of hunting.
I never made the blanket statement that everyoneis after big racks. You are putting words in my mouth, I said that every one is IMPRESSED when they see a big deer with hugeantlers. Again re-read my post.
As far as your feelings on how and why you like to hunt, that's great,that's exactly what I was talking about. It's your choice, it's a personal thing. Whatever makes you happy. But don't put me down because I like to hunt big bucks. Does make my heart beat faster also like they do yours.
As for the hunter shooting the big buck in front of him it is not a moot point, it was meant for the conversation I had with DD about some of those proclaimed meat hunters.
As far as discussing differences in our hunting preferences, I don't mind it at all if you get your facts and quotes right. But don't misquote me and put words in my mouth, that I do mind.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Greg H.
Sounds like the only thing that brings you satisfaction withhunting is killing something withbig horns. That's a shame IMO. The sport is heading more and more that way and farther away from the pure essence of hunting.

I think your blanket statement that "everyone is after big racks" couldn't be farther from the truth. There's a lot more that drives me and others to hunt than chasing the biggest buck in the county. If that ever becomes the sole purpose for me, I'll hang it up. I get as much enjoyment out of shooting a doe than a 150" buck. My heart beats just as hard watching a small buck go by my stand as it does when I'm about ready to release an arrow at a mature buck.

Obviously if a big buck was standing in front of any hunter they would shoot it. That's a moot point. If I ever get to the point where my only enjoyment from hunting is whether I get a certain class buck or not then I'll quit.
HERE HERE NY ... WELL SAID..CAN I GET AN AMEN! ....

dd
Did you mis-read it too DD?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO no such thing as a cookie cutter/one size fits allfor hunters. Lets also not forget regional differences here. I am truly greatful to live in an area that offers more than just deer to fill my freezer and passion. Equally I am also greatful for living in an area that has exceptional deer hunting opportunites. Their is no doubt this has curved my way of thinking in terms of what I mayshoot or consider big. I realize not all enjoy such luxury and don't judge based on what I think interms of my areabut how the person relays their feelings about that hunt or harvest.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, poor cliche but works.It is however our passion for the hunt itself that is the common ground we share, as "Hunters".

In fact a number of friends don't really hunt for the antlers here either, they will shoot a big one if it happens but are just as satisfied with any deer. I enjoy spendy time with these individuals as much as my main hunting partners who are largely on the same level as me. The fact is the hunt is what makes it for both these groups not the filled tag...everybody goes in with vigor and home with memories that last a lifetime! That in a nutshell is why most love to hunt, meat or antlers are really secondary to all the other things hunting provides us all.

Competition is only between you and the game your chasing, anything else cheapens the journey...IMHO.Why I am not just passionate but addicted/obsessed with hunting biggame animals.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't read through all the post but I can explain how I am as a hunter. I hunt antlers and mass and its fair chase on public lands. I live in the Kootenai National forest and see deer, bear and the occasional moose comes by my kabin here. Four years ago I had the montana state record within 20 yrds for 10 minutes when I was hunting in a blizzard during the peak of the rut. I swear, it had more than 200"'s of mass. Maybe the law of average will catch up with me and it'll come back. Since then I have passed up on some of the biggest bucks than I have even harvested. For this reason, I'm eating my tag, its not because I didn't have the oppurtunity to fill it, its just that I didn't see a mature enough buck to tag. I also lost a lot of focus from deer hunting and chased some wapiti's across the state on different special hunts.
Even though tagless, the seasons priceless.

Bobby