Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do you draw the line??

Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Where do you draw the line??

I do think that things have gotten more than a little out of hand in terms of the obsession with trophy bucks and corresponding hunting and land management practices. Where I grew up in Illinois, there were far fewer deer and deer hunters as late as the 1980s. Things have gone crazy since then. As for me, I keep it simple in terms of scouting a location (on private land) andsetting up a stand a few weeks in advance.Except for sometimes usingscent killer, i don't use anything else fancy or high tech equipment. I don't concern myself with the big rack, I'd rather have a nice young buck or tender doe.That's pretty much the line i have drawn for myself.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I don't concern myself with the big rack, I'd rather have a nice young buck or tender doe.That's pretty much the line i have drawn for myself.
WOW LCC youll get crucified for THAT remark in HERE buddy...but Im with you my friend..they sure eat better!

dd
Giant Nontypical

Personally anything that helps me be effecient I will consider. I do not like equipment that makes me alters the way I hunt though. I still believe in the philopsy for which I was taught; know your game, know the area, know your equipment, hunt the wind and be patient. I haveevolved through the years in what I like for certain equipment but I find this true with many things in life.

As far as what type of weapon I like to use, I went through the stages but know find myself loving them all. Basically as long as i am hunting I am thrilled at the prospects each season brings.

The hunt itself is the passion the feuls my obession, the harvest is mere icing on the cake. For me the pursuit, anticipation and preperation are what hunting is now all about. I spend far more hours preparing than actually hunting each year. I just love watching deer through the binos or kicking a shed from the frozen ground while going for a little stroll. I really can't get enough of our crews brainstorming sessions about how we will attack the elk this go around. I have grown very found of hitting the range trying out my equipment and finding the combo that just feels so right. This has been an evolution that started only b/c I wanted to kill bigger racks but has turned into a real love of the game I pursue.

I guess I am still a "trophy hunter" when it comes to deer being I am selective with my buck tag. However I have gone through the common stages of meat, self improvement -bettering my buck year to yearright up tocertain score levelor nothing. However in terms of "trophy hunting" I have some what digressed for lack of a better word. I still maintain selective standards but pay far more attention to maturity level of the animal vs just what he'll tape. Passing a deer is very much a rewarding occurance to me personally, it also has made me learn by observing more rather than worring about getting the shot off. I have and will continue to practice this mentality. I have and will most likely harvest a buck that is mature but less rack endowed(LOL) to possibly let the young deer blossom. I have and will continue to not just fill a tag. I will also take the chance of never seeing that buck again but still be thankful for our meeting. I view every hunt or scouting mission as an eductational opportunity, instead of dwelling on what didn't happen concentrate on what di happen, why, etc. This is part my personal challenge and level in which I feel satisfied with at this point in my hunting career. I will also remain open for this to change or evolve in the future. I pretty much expect such an occurance as that has been the pattern.

I also happen to love venison, the thought of grilling a beef steak is rather blah to me. So most definately this plays into my plans as well.

Ihunt for personal satisfaction/reasons only. As long as your happy then go hard, I see no reason to judge other hunters. I do have opinions but that's all they are.
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I don't concern myself with the big rack, I'd rather have a nice young buck or tender doe.That's pretty much the line i have drawn for myself.

10-4, Bon Ami
Old 01-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

WOW LCC youll get crucified for THAT remark in HERE buddy
Not by me he won't.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

About 50yds around my stand!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

If and when I ever shoot a trophybuck, it will be because I have stalked him or because I have found his stomping grounds and was set up in the right place at the right time at the end of the season. I refuse to shoot a good buck before the rut is over, as I prefer them to have one last chance to spread their genetics to the herd. If old age gets them before I do, so be it.

For does and management bucks, I am not opposed to using every advantage the law allows. With the deer herd out of balance, and with few of the large natural predators left, man has a duty to step in and remove the weak links that nature would have removed herself if left alone.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting and makes one think about themselves.

I would use a guide if I was hunting someplace far from home and would have no other way of safely finding game and/or my way out of the mountains.

To hunt something oddthatI could never hunt on my own, I'd use a guide and pay to hunt someone's property. I wouldn't want it to be fenced, but I would pay for the opportunity to hunt where animal "X" lived.

I see no point in farming deeronly to shootthem once they get old enough, big enough, or not big enough.

I will most likely continue to up my personal standards on the bucks I shoot, as long as I still find lots of time to hunt and good places to hunt. If those go away, I'll keep trying to the best of the situation I am dealt with, and work to improve it.

I'm not into the latest greatest gadgetry, I do hunt with a decent compound, but choose to shoot deer at a much closer range than I am skilled as an archer. I have the skills to kill a deer at 40 yds, but I see no reason to. I probably will try my hand at hunting with a recurve in the future, but doubt I'd ever go too far back in technology time.

That'sabout all the lines I think to draw for now
Old 01-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

If and when I ever shoot a trophybuck, it will be because I have stalked him or because I have found his stomping grounds and was set up in the right place at the right time at the end of the season.

A few years ago I tracked a massive 12pt 4 days and a young hunter shot it by spending the night on his stand, which is illegalon FL WMA's.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Interesting and makes one think about themselves.

I would use a guide if I was hunting someplace far from home and would have no other way of safely finding game and/or my way out of the mountains.

To hunt something oddthatI could never hunt on my own, I'd use a guide and pay to hunt someone's property. I wouldn't want it to be fenced, but I would pay for the opportunity to hunt where animal "X" lived.

I see no point in farming deeronly to shootthem once they get old enough, big enough, or not big enough.

I will most likely continue to up my personal standards on the bucks I shoot, as long as I still find lots of time to hunt and good places to hunt. If those go away, I'll keep trying to the best of the situation I am dealt with, and work to improve it.
RY very good post ... I think a lot of the TV shows have the younger hunters thinking about"what does that buck score" ...if you read most the post here after a buck pic is posted one of the very first questions is "what does he score" or you see post "what does he score" and he may only be a spike ... its become obviously more of a business then a sport now just like bass fishing and turkey hunting ...My dog has to be larger then your dog syndrome...

dd

Quick Reply: Where do you draw the line??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.