Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Take the shot at any angle( hope for the best)
1.16%
Take the shot even up the bunghole
4.65%
Never shoot up the rear.
9.30%
I'll take the quartering too, but not quartering away hard
11.63%
I'll just bust him in the neck if theres no shot.
17.44%
Nah I'll pass and wait to see him another day.
38.37%
Who cares, I hate polls.
17.44%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Passing on a shot.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Passing on a shot.

Seems like you northern boys just dont like passing up a shot. Us southerners will pass. Why is that ? If I see a big buck that is quartering away hard, I wont take that shot, I just shrug it off and hope to see him another day. But you guys up north will take that shot and hope for the best.

Multiple answers are allowed
Old 01-21-2006, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Passing on a shot.

I'm from michigan, that's pretty far north and I would pass. I have limitations and they are 25 yards, 30 if the shot is perfect. The deer has to be broad side or slightly quarting away. I like the same thing with my gun, other than the distance, I will shoot out to 100 or so with my slug gun and 150 yards with my inline. Still has to be broadside or quarting away though.

Paul
Old 01-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I pass all the time. Like Paul I usually wait for a broadside or slightly quartering away. With a rifle I may take a head or a neck shot if I feel confident enough . . .which is almost never nowadays. I'm often close to the river and need to have them drop pretty quick. I passed on a real nice rack a while ago that only offered me a rearend shot even tho I felt I stood a chance of a spine hit. He was too nice to lose in the river.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm from the Wisconsin, "up north", I'll always pass if I don't have a high percentage shot!
Old 01-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm Southern , raised in Kentucky , and I won't hesitate to take a neck shot if there's no other to take . Headshots get a pass other than very close range.I'll never understand that idioticbunghole shot, why would you want sheit in your meat ? [:'(]
Old 01-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Northern Boys don't pass up shots? ookkk....
Old 01-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Neck shot!

Old 01-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

North Dakota guy would pass on an iffy shot. However I will take the neck shot for sure. To me a neck shot is a sure drop in their tracks or a complete miss. I have never seen a neck shot deer take more than one step.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are other options than those, and I'm assuming your only talking rifle and not bow.....
Old 01-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'll hammer'm in the neck if i don't have a respectable vital shot. i'll just shoot another deer for a cape if i was going to mount the one i shot in the neck. ofcourse i am comfortable with my shooting abilities aswell. with the set up i shoot, i can consistantly put rounds in a 2 inch grouping at 300-350 yards.

Quick Reply: Passing on a shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.