Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to look for in warm hunting boots?

Old 01-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What to look for in warm hunting boots?

Hey DD,

Take it from the folks that know cold weather and check out LL Beans web site. Their located in Maine and carry the best of the best in cold weather gear. My sister lives up there and turned me on to them many moons ago. I buy all my outdoor gear from them and have never been sorry.

As mentioned earlier, the Lacrosse Ice Kings are probley your best bet. They run $120.00 and are well worth it. Here is a description of those boots.

The warmest boots we've ever sold– packed with multiple layers of insulation and heat-retaining materials for stationary activities in extremely cold weather. Ice fishermen and late-season deer hunters will appreciate the convenient, removable 3/4" foam liner and 6 mm felt sole. The 8 mm felt midsole forms another barrier against the cold. Rubber boot bottoms are reinforced with 400 gram Thinsulate™ Insulation olefin/polyester plus 3/6[size=-2]7" poly foam for total protection in the coldest weather. Trac-Lite™ outsole offers improved traction on snow and ice. Full-grain-leather and Cordura® nylon upper is extremely rugged. 7.4 lb. per pair. Imported. Half sizes please order up.

While were at it, the warmest coat I have ever owned is their Baxter State Parka. It's rated at -50 deg and that's noBS. I have been to Maine many times in frigid artic like weather and never once have I been cold.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

What happened to my fonts?

Double D will never even realize there are more words towards the bottom.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

it is only 400 grams of thinsulate my dad bought a pair of rockys with 800 grams for 30 bucks they must be way overpriced
Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

it is only 400 grams of thinsulate my dad bought a pair of rockys with 800 grams for 30 bucks they must be way overpriced
Yea but the 400gms is surrounded by 3/4 inch of poly foam.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks G.P. ...I appreciate the infomation and will see if I can find a pair ...

dd
Old 01-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wear gortex boots with 600-800 grams of thinsulate in saskatchewan.Now the main reason I have moved to this weight of insulation is because my feet sweat to much when get to 1000 or above, which is counter productive. If you don't have this problem moving upmaybe a good option. To me one of the most important things with boots is room. You don't want them to be snug fitting at all, wiggle room is a must. Maybe the most important thing is not the boot itselfbut rather what you put on your feet. Polyproplene sock liners (moisture wicking) like helly hansen make are a god sent, then top them witha proper weight good quality merino wool sock for the activity/climate. I personally have owned a number of bootsbut am on my second pair of Danner Canadians. They have been an excellent boot for my needs and thus my preference. Gortex boot, 600 grthinsulate, 10" all leather upper provides excellent coverage & support. The rubber soles have a new bubble tread pattern that provide excellent grip for a variety of terrains I encounter.

For a stand hunter bootie blankets are always an option for additional warmth.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess to me, the fit is the most important thing. That and the kind of socks I wear. I like the wick away socks and any boot that is just a little on the loose side. You need warm boots in ND. We have had opening mornings around 25 below zero.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always used Rocky's and they have did the trick for me here in Minnesota. You can get a decent pair of rockys that are both warm and waterproof for a good price. But like anything else, you get what you pay for so if you pay cheap boots then..... oh and by the way DD, 23F is a little on the warm side, but good hunting weather nonetheless....
Old 01-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

I foyur looking for something like the L.L. Bean Maine Hunting shoe take a look at Schnee's boots. They are a little heavier and warmer than the Maine Hunting shoe. I use rubber boots early season, mid season - L.L. Bean with Military socks and heavy sock. Colder weather Rocky Extreme pacs w/ military socks and heavy wool socks. When it gets colder I use Artic Shield bot covers.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

As mentioned earlier, the Lacrosse Ice Kings are probley your best bet. They run $120.00 and are well worth it. Here is a description of those boots.
welcome green pea, the ice kings are a great boot and they are what i carry when i hunt in canada, really tooo much for here though(i think) it would be like wearing your raven wear on a 60 deg day[:-], your feet will get hot, they are also very, very big, i wear a 10.5 and these things look like 13's or 14's, whole lotta fun in a small climber or lock-on, in fact i had to make a strap for my climber to fit over my ice kings[:-], what i have found (for here)is that 600-1000 grms thinsulate and the proper socks and liners along with proper fit will do the most good, DD you may be suffering some of the same deals i am, poor circulation, i have been walking for my health and diabetes and my circ. has improved which has also helped keep my feet warm.....best of luck buddy, cold feet are bad news[:@]and really ruin a hunt

23 heck that is a heat wave here most of the time.
while we don't have the cold you guys up north experience, dec/jan/feb can get down-right cold, we are also in a "Heat wave" this is the warmest winter i can remember in years[:@]

Quick Reply: What to look for in warm hunting boots?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.