Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to look for in warm hunting boots?

Old 01-15-2006, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What to look for in warm hunting boots?

I probably missed it in one of your posts, but what kind of hunting do you do? Here's a few questions that can help you figure out just what you need.

Do you still hunt or stand hunt?

If you stand hunt how far do you need to walk to get to your stand?

Do you use a climber, ladder standor ground blind?

What temps are we talking about?

What's more important warmth or weight?

I have 3 sets of hunting boots. 1 for temps in the 50's and above, 1 for30 - 50 or so and1 for whatever comes my way (Pac Boots). Something tells me that you're not going to be needing Pac Boots down your way though.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Guys I used to wear only Lacrosse but this year I found a pair of 18" waterproof boots made by "Muck" and I swear by them. With my Lacrosse I had to wear 2 pair of socks but not now. They are one hell of a good boot.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:28 PM

Who says waterproof bootscan't be warm. I have a pair of Lacrosse Burly ATS with 800 grams of Thinsulate. Completely waterproof and my feet have never gotten cold while wearing them.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:30 PM

The first thing I look for is to see if they are waterproof and how much Thinsulate they have in them cause i find the amount of thinsulate makes or breaks a warm pair of boats.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:44 PM

When I was growing up, the last thing in the world you wanted was a pair of those rubber boots. Man, your feet would be ice cubes.

But, a friend convinced me to buy a pair of the Muck rubber/neoprene boots last year. All I can say is WOW. Waterproof and warm. There may be a better pair of rubber/neoprene boots out there, but they are going to have to pry my mucks off my feet.
And I am prone to having cold feet.
R
Hank
Old 01-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

rocky 1200 gram insulation boots great and water proof

Old 01-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

The two things to start with are
1) Proper fit - tight boots cut down circulation .
2) Adequate insulation for the temperature - self explanatory .

These are good:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=66036
Old 01-18-2006, 05:10 PM

DD,

Having a prosthetic leg and one poor circulation foot left, I get cold with the best of them until now. I bought a pair of Rockies off ebay. I got the Rocky 8'' Lynx Scent IQ with the 800 isulate. These babys have been magic. My only foot i have left now stays super warm while hunting from a metal tree stand. Much better than the old rubber bottoms I had last year., You can get a pair for 50 bucks off of e-bay.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys ... I do more treestand hunting then anything but it gets pretty dog gone cool here in north Alabama in late Dec. and Jan. ..so I need some pretty wram boots ...normally in the mid 30s byt the last cpl of years we have had a lot of wind ..makes it colder obviously ..

dd
Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Thanks guys ...as for how cold it gets in Alabama ..when I got up this morning I looked out in the backyard and saw a beagle with a set of jumper cables trying to boost off a jack rabbit ...it was 23 here this morning !

dd
You are a funny man DD. 23 heck that is a heat wave here most of the time. We actually had 41 degrees today with freezing rain but it will get back to around zero this weekend. I alsohunt withLacrosse Burly ATS with 800 grams and am always warm. We usually have fairly deep snow during our rifle season and they do the trick. I ice fish every day with Lacrosse 1200 gram boots and when it gets 10 below or more I switch to my Lacross Ice Kings.This year I will be going to Colorado on an elk hunt and will need a set of Rockys with leather uppers for support. When I wear my Lacrosse boots I wear cotton socks and a pair of wool medium weight socks. I can trudge all day in knee high snow and never get cold. I hunt with a pair of duofold long underwear,flannel shirt and Johnson wool pants and jack shirt (light coat). When I ice fish it is all down coat and pants.

Quick Reply: What to look for in warm hunting boots?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.