Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scents

Old 10-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scents

i pretty much hunt how skeeter does...except i usually dont wash with soap at all before hunting and my stuff hangs in the garage in the off season and is washed in plain water and air dryed before i wear it for the season...maybe next year i will get a rubbermaid container and fill it with leaves and dirt...seems alota guys think scent elimination is reallly important..that is something simple that will help so i rather do it than be sorry when a deer does wind me...and i have no problem bagging deer hunting with my dad now..i was just looking to maybe get a step ahead of him and use this "tehnology" to my advantage...i really dont think technology and the woods mix......i will just hunt how we do now i guess...and apply the same rules to archery when i start...and be more scent free...thanx guys...i will take your advice and become more scent free....maybe even trapping a skunk and using it as a cover scent...

mauser06

Old 10-18-2002, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done a lot of stalking deer with a bow in my years of hunting. The two biggest things to observe when stalking a deer the land and wind. Because you have to have both in order for the stalk to work, without one the other is useless... Why risk it, a few extra buck and few extra minutes, could mean a big buck in the bed of your truck. It's not worth the risk for me. I don't use Scent Eliminating suits, but take most every other precaution to control my scent. And I'm not a guy that makes much stink or am around heavy foreign odors. Good luck hunting!
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 10-19-2002, 01:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think my poop don't stink, nor do I think I know it all. In fact if I did, I wouldn't hunt. Hunting = challenge to me, take away the challenge and I am bored! My best advice is to take tidbits you think is useful to your situation and learn. Knowledge isn't overnight, it take time, experience, trial and error. Evolving is always important in hunting. This means harness technological benefits, scout and adapt.......always keep learning. Everytime out hunting or scouting you should learn something new...I know I do.

Your dad has taught you well in old school, which is good Mauser06. But to reject all new technology or methods is not a good idea. Many old schooler's have evolved with times. Tech and woods do mix, I don't believe in it all. Bet your bootie's though I will research and if I can apply it to my area, I will try it real time. Bowhunting is a different animal than gun. You always have to be in their bedroom, living room or kitchen...chances of getting spooked, busted or winded are extremely high.

To the skunk scent, leave that in the skunk, skunks spray when alarmed, not opps it slipped (like after turkey dinner and pumpkin pie). I had a buddy who noticed deer always spooky and alert when using skunk cover. Remember we all say eliminate scent!

Keep you nose up bud, you are well on your way. In the future if you ask questions, be prepared to get answers...some of which you don't like.

Old 10-20-2002, 03:03 PM

good luck to you. remember the idea is to at least be neutral in the area. like the dude on Predator. scents can and do work. so does neutrality which is no odor