Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tough on the emotions

Old 01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tough on the emotions

happend to me just last week. the doe i shot had two they were about 6 inches long. but there is no way of telling if a doe had more deer in her till shes about ready to drop them.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Man that’s rough. Being new to hunting I’ve never experienced that. It’s awkward just thinking about it. I guess you just have to put things into perspective. It’s the circle of life. Some make it and some don’t.

Lat weekend was my first hunt. I was with my brother and we didn’t see anything. It did cross my mind several times how I would react to seeing a deer get shot then gutted. At the time I didn’t have a gun so I was just there to take pictures and observe.

Although I had never been on a hunt I have always respected the many positives that hunters contribute too our society. By thinning the herds, hunters promote a healthier gene pool among deer. Less cross breading and far less fatalities on our roads and highways. That’s something I don’t think people that are against hunting take into consideration.

I think the fact that the embryo made you stop and think is a good thing. It shows your human side and that you have compassion for life. Nothing wrong with that at all. But again, consider the positives your hunting contribution made.

Easy for me to say, I’ve not wore those shoes yet.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

GP
Thanks, and I hope you get the chance to kill and gut your first deer soon. Welcome to the sport. I was new last year and although I have only killed 3 deer myself, i was also there for my daughters first and my frineds first.
I in no way am questioning hunting or my desire to continue to hunt. There is so much more to it than the act of killing. Although I have a sadness each time I take an animals life I still love to hunt. This was another new experience for me and was just not ready for it. If I knew the doe was carrying a baby would i still have shot it? Yes.
Again it was just the surprise of that embryo popping out and after i picked it up realizing what it was.

Welcome to the forum
Old 01-03-2006, 08:32 PM

This was a good post.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for welcome, as well as to the others that have welcomed me here.

Unfortunately I’ll have to wait until next season to deer hunt. Rifle season is over here in Ohio and I made the mistake of buying a 25-06, something you can’t shoot in Ohio but that’s OK I can travel. I am going to buy a 12 Ga and a slug barrel to go with it. I gauren damn tee it I’ll be the first one out next season. I’ve bought about everything I can get my hands on and I’m not done yet.

It may sound corny, but that day I sat along the tree line with my brother staring into the field I almost felt as though I had been born again. I can’t remember the last time I felt that free and alive. I’ve been on many walks through the woods with my camera and enjoyed the outdoors but nothing compared to sitting there anticipating what might be.

Can you believe I’ve never even tasted deer! What a city slicker I must be. And I’ve always had myself figured as an outdoorsman. I’ll get there.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Danny my friend, it just means you're not cold blooded!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:32 PM

Took my nephew out on a ML hunt last wednesday and he shot a doe. I help him gut his first deer but this one I made him do most of it just helped when I had too. When he pulled the guts out I seen two bloody/veiny sacks. I debated exploring cause I thought I new what it was just didn't know if the 13 year old nephew could handle it right. So I decided to cut them open only to find two babies about three inches long, perfectly formed but no hair. Me and him both felt kinda bad but then he said "it's a good thing we are at the top of the food chain" thenI realized its out of the hunters controll and then felt fine. But it does make you stop and think. As for whatburniegoeasily said about wounding deer I one time had a very bad experiance one time. I spine shot a small buck above the shoulder paralized all legs but one front leg, bled real bad. So I thought I would just wait it out, the deer seamed calm just needed to let it bleed out. After about ten minutes the blood stoped and the deer seamed to be relaxing. Me being the big hunter I was thought I'll just get out of the tree and slit its throat. Mistake!! as soon as I got half way out of the tree the deer seen me and started grunting so loud it almost hurt my ears. Then it started that sreaming crap and spining on the one leg in circles. I had a hard time placing the shot as it spun on the ground but was able too. But when I shot the buck stoped spining and looked right at me in the eyes and the only thing I could think of was if he could get up I would be a dead man. I tossed my bow on the ground and went to the house to get the ATV and sat in the garage for about twenty minutes in complete disgust! I almost went out and dug a hole for the darn thing. But I came to and went and got him. Just means we have a heart, some guys dont.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hotburn I had a VERY similar experience with a spine shot 4 point with my bow. I came very close to quitting that day. I must have shot 2500 arrows last winter and this summer vowing to be a better shot and not have that happen EVER again. I only shot at 1 with the bow this year...thankfully it was a double-lunger and it died in 5 seconds.Danny...just hope you never spine shoot one bow hunting.

Green Pea..I always said...the only time I feel really alive is when I am hunting.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gree Pea, sounds like you figured out what its all about, but just because the season is over don't stop now! Stay in teh woods all year, whether its scouting, hunting for sheds, or just plain getting some excercise, you'll learn much about the deer your hunting, might find some good spots to set up in, and hell, its better then watching TV!
Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've thought about the spine shot or poor shot before and although I practice alot in an attempt to avoid those I realize that it will happen one day. I'll do what I can to avoid it and hopefully I will be mentally prepared to deal with that

BTW, The processor just called and I get to pick up the meat today. There was a lot that was good about this hunt too

Quick Reply: Tough on the emotions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.