Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

INFURIATING--Anything to do??

Old 12-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: INFURIATING--Anything to do??

Man that sux. I hate seeing any deer wasted. I live in WV and poaching is rampant. My bud lives on a 150 acre orchard and every year they poach deer of his land.
They call the DNR and nothing ever gets done unless the poachers are caught in the act the DNR says they cant go off of a descrption.
His brobeacamea state cop and now has a house on the farm, he parks his police car about 100 feet from the road in plain view and they still have poachers every year.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:54 PM

Here in SC, due to our dumb ass gov', our DNR budget was cut like $1,000,000 and our officers are so spread out that they can't do ANYTHING. If I am not mistaken, here and in other states that this has happened, they started a program where you can go to a class a few nights a week for a while and acutally be a reserve warden or something like that. you basically have all the powers of a regular warden, BUT i think the catch is, that you can only patrol your OWN land......I may have gotten confused somewhere, but I think thats how it goes....look into it.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:57 PM

Real sorry for you. Looks like he was a nice deer. Very well could have shed it already. We have seen a few here in NC that have already lost 1 side. Do you have gates or cables across paths and entry ways? I usually work pretty close with the wildlife officers in our area and I really think it has helped. They don't seem to mind to go out of their way to try and help me
Old 12-29-2005, 08:05 PM

The trail cam sounds like an idea. What about the tire tracks, I'll bet they're coming in the same way each time. For those times you can't be there, take a coupla chunks of plywood and drive some nails through them and put them where the tire tracks come in, you know, cover them with leaves and such. For those times you can be there, take a rifle with some capacity, get your vehicle out of sight, and then HUNT. You sure don't want to shoot anyone (well, you might want to, but prison is no fun), but you can make them think twice about wandering around on your property.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Would not recomend leaving sticks with nails in them. Very bad idea. Could sacrifice a little and allow some local guy to hunt the land and watch over it. If you can't beat em then join em.Get the right local hunter who is very intense about deer hunting and he will probably watch the land like a hawk, inform you of whats going on locally, and do your scouting for you. Tell him him where/when you will be there and howyou want to hunt so you don't interfere with each other and you both will benefit.He's probably the guy hunting your land anyway.Had a similar problem here in NY which I worked out this way. Now at least I get a running tally of whats being taken off our land.Take care.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nyorange

Would not recomend leaving sticks with nails in them. Very bad idea. Could sacrifice a little and allow some local guy to hunt the land and watch over it. If you can't beat em then join em.Get the right local hunter who is very intense about deer hunting and he will probably watch the land like a hawk, inform you of whats going on locally, and do your scouting for you. Tell him him where/when you will be there and how you want to hunt so you don't interfere with each other and you both will benefit. He's probably the guy hunting your land anyway. Had a similar problem here in NY which I worked out this way. Now at least I get a running tally of whats being taken off our land.Take care.
I like this idea! Look for a bowhunter who is around early season so there is more of a hunters presence!
Old 12-30-2005, 12:37 AM

My condolences sir. That would really make it hard to continue to save immature deer. Takes away a lot of fun from hunting in general too if you have to be a watchdog and a policeman in stead. Hope you get justice in some form.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:42 AM

ive heard of people useing trail cams but you do have the change of them getting wreked but if you did get a pic of them even if it vant prove them for potching you could charge for tresspassing
Old 12-30-2005, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I must have missed something, why are you convinced he was poached? Was it trespassing? sorry if I missed that. I would also figure if a person went to the length of poaching then he would have taken the deer. The fact that it wasn't recovered I would think it might have been shot legally, just not recovered?

sorry if I am missing something, but a shot that high will leave little blood trail and may travel several hundred yards, hard to find if you are not a good tracker.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

A lot of deer end up dead in ponds. I think that they wade into the pond while wounded to soak and drink water, then die. For example, my father once wounded a deer and then lost it after tracking it in a southerly direction. However, it later turned up in our cousins pond a half-mile north of where it had been originally hit. So, if its any consolation, the deer wasn't necessarily shot on your land although you were certainly left with the mess.

Quick Reply: INFURIATING--Anything to do??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.