Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

interesting philosophy

Old 12-29-2005, 02:25 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: interesting philosophy

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

I doupt the Darn deer cares at that point[>:]
Now thats funny. But true.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I agree everyone it entitled to thier philosophies, it IS very hard to understand why someone would shoot something that doesn't make them happy. If that or any little buck made a persons season, great. But if the only reason they shot that buck is because it wasn't a doe, then that is tough to follow and understand. Makes it evenworse if there are plenty of does/doe tags available.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta confess here. During WV rifle season i hunt for 2 things. Something with 3 or more to a side or a LARGE doe. Everything else gets a free pass. We have killed so many does int he past 10 years where I hunt that seeing one with 3 to a side happens pretty often now. You want bigger bucks? Kill more does! With that being said though..thats only my choice..if someone wants to hunt spikes, small does or buttons..they bought a license and have every right to blast away....just not on my land
Old 12-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, if you dont want the antlers, shoot a doe and let him grow up.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

We are not making laws here, just conversation and opinions.......
I have shot plenty of small bucks in my time becuse the law says i can't shoot a doe in some counties......im cool with that.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:31 AM

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

there is a sign at the place that says 'we don't save horns'. so, the girl checking the deer in says to the guy 'do you want the horns'. the guy says 'no, they aren't big enough'.
.. now thats funny right there.
There is a sign that actually calls them horns? The thread here called "What do you call it" is talking about people that get all bent out of shape when someone calls them horns on a whitetail.. and there in VA there is an actual sign.. sweet.. Anyone ever complain?

Old 12-30-2005, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

yes, the sign says that, it should say 'antlers'. I am sure that most people responding to this post will agree that anyone that buys a license is entitled to shoot whatever is legal. I'm not debating that. But it appears to me that if someone doesn't want to keep the (more than likely now) reason they shot the animal (antlers) what is the point? yes, maybe it was the only deer they saw. I know that the bucks I passed this year would not 'satisfy' me, meaning that they were not what I was looking for. that is the reason behind my doe kills. I prefer to kill the big does first becaue in my area the buck to doe ratio, not to mention the overall population of deer is way out of whack. I've killed two little does not knowing. they will make some tasty eating I am sure. I wouldn't of pulled the trigger had I known they were young, but they will be good on the table.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jrbsr and Rybo have responded in exactly the same way that I would! I don't debate the legality of why.I question why you would shoot something if you aren't happy with it! I just deleted about half a page because I don't want to have a QDM debate.Suffice to say if an animal doesn't make you happy don't kill it and if you do show it some respect,maybe some young person would be delighted with having the antlers.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:42 PM

Maybe the guy just hunts for food, be it buck, doe, yearling, 8 yr old, spike, 23 pointer...
Old 12-30-2005, 01:03 PM
bigcountry

Or maybe he was like me this year. I killed a 7pt first day of bow and needed two more doe to kill another buck. I couldn't buy a doe. I say spikes, 4pointers, a 5 point. Finally got a small doe. But still didn't get my other doe to go back to rack hunting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.